We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation Question

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
788 posts
10 reviews
Transportation Question

Our daughter will be coming to Pinedale for the summer to work for the Great Basin Institute. Part of her time will be spent camping out in the mountains with a group of people doing their work and part of her time will be spent in town taking a break from the camping/working aspect of the job.

Since we live in Michigan, we are trying to figure out a way that she will not need to take her car with her, so that she can just fly into Jackson Hole Airport instead of driving across the country with one of us. Are there any transportation options in that area? Cheap car rentals, shuttles, Uber...anything so that she would have transportation when she needs it without having to have her own car? We've never been to Wyoming, so we know nothing of the "lay of the land", so to speak. I do know that Pinedale isn't very big, and that's about all I know. She was told that she will need transportation for shopping, day trips, etc., but we really don't want her to have to take her car all that way for a five month assignment if at all possible.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Edited: 16 April 2017, 19:04
4 replies to this topic
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
11,082 posts
181 reviews
1. Re: Transportation Question

As they have already informed her she will need a car, I would plan to take a car. Too far to a bigger town, shuttles, Uber, etc. won't work. A rental car would be terribly expensive. Spend some time with her when she goes out and you will understand the distances involved. And I hope she has a great summer!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
11,082 posts
181 reviews
2. Re: Transportation Question

I googled- is this in Wyoming or Nevada? Oh, now I see Pinedale. May-September.

Edited: 16 April 2017, 20:55
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
11,082 posts
181 reviews
3. Re: Transportation Question

Pinedale to Jackson, the nearest big town, is like driving from Dundee to Flint (about 80 miles if I did it right?) with nothing but very small towns in between. Jackson is in Teton County, the highest cost of living county in Wyoming.

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
788 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Transportation Question

Thank you for your replies, they are very helpful! At this point, we are looking at shipping her car from home to the Jackson Hole Airport. My husband and I both just had to miss several days' work for an out of town funeral of a close family member so we can't really request more time off and we are both scheduled to work during the time when she would need to travel. I don't want her traveling across the country alone for several reasons, so maybe shipping the car and her camping equipment and having her fly out would be the best option.

Reply to: Transportation Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pinedale