We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wind Rivers Dayhikes???

USA
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
6 reviews
Wind Rivers Dayhikes???

We are interested in doing day hikes into Wind Rivers, not backpacking. I've been told you need to hike back in 10 miles before you get the majestic views. Does anyone know of good day hikes? Thanks.

6 replies to this topic
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Wind Rivers Dayhikes???

Before I can offer suggestions, it sure would be helpful to know where in the Winds you're interested in hiking. On the west or east? North or south end?

Edited: 10 July 2016, 12:57
Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,739 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: Wind Rivers Dayhikes???

Access points to the Winds can be located in towns as far apart as 2-4 hours depending upon which route you take. So as TB suggested, knowing where you'll be based out would be a start, as well as knowing how long you are willing to drive to get to the TH. Many THs are down long slow rutted FS roads.

I will say, if you are going to be in Dubois, WY - I found Lake Louise a fun easy hike w/nice views last year. Definitely a dayhike and the road in is not bad / well maintained.

https:/…hike-to-lake-louise-wind-river-range

Other hikes near Pinedale out of Big Sandy don't strike me as day hikes due to the time it takes to drive there and hike in, especially for the big views like the Cirque of the Towers.

If you are looking to spend some time in this area, there is a great book is Falcon's Guides Hiking the Wind River range for planing purposes.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Wind Rivers Dayhikes???

That link states: Start your journey headed South/East out of Dubois toward Riverton and Lander. Take a left onto Fish Hatchery Road.

I think you make a right - not a left - on Fish Hatchery Road.

USA
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Wind Rivers Dayhikes???

Thanks TetonBill and BlueBird. We are flexible as to where we would start, and are willing to drive a longer distance for a great day hike. We would just plan a trip around the nice hiking (without backpacking). I'd heard there is a nice day hike near Fremont Lake. Do you know anything about that? Thanks!

Edited: 10 July 2016, 20:23
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Wind Rivers Dayhikes???

Fremont Lake is more a recreation lake than a hiking destination. I'd suggest instead that you drive north of Pinedale and hike the Green River Lakes. Here's some information:

visitpinedale.org/explore/…green-river-lakes

We have used this trail as the jumping off point for a week-long pack trip in the Winds and it's a beautiful area with a lot of trails, and would be good day hiking.

Take bear spray, as this part of the Winds is seeing more grizzlies in the past couple of years.

USA
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Wind Rivers Dayhikes???

Thanks for the help.

Reply to: Wind Rivers Dayhikes???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pinedale