We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from KOA airport

Which Waikoloa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from KOA airport

Trying to find some suggestions on the most economical way to get from KOA airport to the Waikoloa Marriott on a Friday afternoon. There will be two of us arriving two hours apart, so either one can wait for the other or we can take two separate trips to the hotel. I see that neither the Marriott or any other hotel offer any type of shuttle service...We would rather not rent a car, since other travellers meeting us the next day will have a car for all of us to use.

Thanks in advance for your help - this is my first trip to Hawaii!!!!!

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from KOA airport

Aloha,

Here is what I found for you:

Laura's Taxi, 808 326 5466 $51.00 each way, cash only

Speedi Shuttle www.speedishuttle.com

Shared rides @$41.00 per person

Jacks Hawaii

www.jackshawaii.com/eng/tours_2.html

There is also Mass Transit: Hele-On Bus

hawaii-county.com/mass_transit/heleonbus.html

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from KOA airport

Meeks924,

My advice is rent a car. Speedi shuttle is pretty cheap at $41, taxis would cost over $50 at least. I just checked on Hotwire and for $35.95 one can get a rental car and not be stuck at the Marriott and that area. Then you can return it and meet up with the other travelers all at the same time the next day. That added flexibility for nearly the same price is why I recommend renting. Mind you with taxes and fees the total cost will be about $49 but still a better deal than a cab. I also don’t know which Friday you will be there; I just randomly picked 7/13 since IIRC it was in July.

Good luck and happy travels!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,020 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from KOA airport

so it apears to be almost a wash financially ...

I would base it on convenience and whether flexibility matters.

For instance, if you want to eat up at Brown's, a car will take you there with no real additional cost, taxi will be pricey.

If your friends are meeting you at the Marriott the next day and you don't want to drive back to the airport (about 30 minutes) to return the car, and you want to eat at the Hilton or Marriott, you may prefer the shuttle convenience.

It will be boring sitting at KOA for two hours in the afternoon in the heat. There's not much to entertain you there. Another reason the first arrival might like to get a car and take a spin.

4. Re: Transportation from KOA airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 21:17