We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Kapaa, Kauai, a safe play for travelers?

Mogadore, Ohio
3 posts
Is Kapaa, Kauai, a safe play for travelers?

We are looking at a home to rent in Kapaa right near the beach. I read on a website that the chances of being involved in a crime in Kapaa are 1 in 28,,,not great odds. Is Kapaa a nice and safe area?

26 replies to this topic
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,825 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: Is Kapaa, Kauai, a safe play for travelers?

Where did you read that statistic? I've personally never had any issues in Kapa'a though we usually stay in Poipu. I've heard advise to not hang out at local bars super late at night. But I would not do that anywhere.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
501 posts
1 review
2. Re: Is Kapaa, Kauai, a safe play for travelers?

Never had a problem. Be smart about things.

California
Level Contributor
41,433 posts
130 reviews
3. Re: Is Kapaa, Kauai, a safe play for travelers?

Its a busy area with many residents and there are areas near the parks that attract some undesirables (drug use etc). Just be aware if you want to be near a good beach, Kapaa is not the place.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,719 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Is Kapaa, Kauai, a safe play for travelers?

Where did you read that? I certainly don't know what the statistics are but I have lived in Kapaa for almost a year and on island for almost 3, haven't been a victim of a crime yet.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
493 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: Is Kapaa, Kauai, a safe play for travelers?

It’s as safe as any place as long as you take basic precautions like locking doors, hiding valuables items from plain view, and not parking overnight for hiking excursions. That stat is probably fair for pretty much any tourist destination around the world but on Kauai I don’t think you need to worry about bodily harm from a crime if that’s your greater concern.

Limerick, Maine
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
70 reviews
6. Re: Is Kapaa, Kauai, a safe play for travelers?

I have been going to Kauai yearly for over 30 years and have never felt unsafe. I have stayed in Kapaa too, and never had any problem. As with anyplace, taking precautions is the best advice, but I would not worry unnecessarily about that statistic.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,986 posts
1 review
7. Re: Is Kapaa, Kauai, a safe play for travelers?

If that statistic is correct it's probably mostly theft (and mostly petty) which happens in greater numbers in more populated areas anywhere. Also a smattering of problems at local bars as Martik pointed out. If you're thinking about something worse than this don't worry. That number sounds suspect to me. If you're doing the normal tourist things and going to the normal tourist places you have nothing to worry about.

You say you're renting near the beach in Kapaa. If you want to be by good and safer swimming beaches this isn't the place. That would be of bigger concern to me than the crime rate.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,739 posts
59 reviews
8. Re: Is Kapaa, Kauai, a safe play for travelers?

Kapaʻa is generally safe, but I would not leave sliding doors unlocked overnight. There are some bad actors around, and if youʻre on the beach youʻre probably right by the east side walking path, which makes getaway easy for thieves.

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Is Kapaa, Kauai, a safe play for travelers?

i stay at Pono Kai every year in Kapaa. I have never had any trouble with crime there. My kids run around the town and up and down the bicycle trail all day. There have been some homeless looking guy in groups of 3-4 hanging out some times on the beach, but they never have been any problem... If I was homeless I would hang out there also.

Edited: 29 January 2018, 14:07
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,364 posts
3,388 reviews
10. Re: Is Kapaa, Kauai, a safe play for travelers?

No worries

Reply to: Is Kapaa, Kauai, a safe play for travelers?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kapaa
Recent Conversations