We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Shore Hikes

Kaysville, Utah
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
North Shore Hikes

Looking for some recommendations for hikes on the north shore. I’ve spent most of my time on the Kalalau trail and its closure is forcing me to branch out. Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
41,464 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: North Shore Hikes

You need to branch out at Waimea Canyon.

Kalaheo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
92 reviews
2. Re: North Shore Hikes

The two other popular hikes up there, the Okoleaho trail and the Wai Koa loop, remain closed due to damage from the flooding. The best way to replicate some of what you experienced on the Kalalau Trail would be the Awa'awapuhi or Nu'alolo trails up in Waimea Canyon. Both offer good views of the Napali Coast along with native flora and fauna. You could also do the Pihea / Alakai Swamp combo, which gives coast views along with a look into Hanalei Valley at the end of the trail.

Sleeping Giant in Kapaa is closer to the north shore, with views down into Kapaa and over the ocean. The Kuilau trail is Kapaa is also a possibility, although it is quite a bit less challenging than the others mentioned.

Moorpark, California
Level Contributor
269 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: North Shore Hikes

Jenz99 I was told by someone who hiked the Okoleaho trail about a couple of weeks ago that it was not closed. He said the trail was fine. We were planning on this hike. Do you happen to know where I can find some good information? TIA

Kalaheo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
92 reviews
4. Re: North Shore Hikes

The trail is fine, the road to get to it remains closed to all but local traffic. I know a few people have discarded the road closed sign and went anyway, but the surrounding fields were were badly damaged and I would respect the request to not disturb the area. It might be open by the time you visit, but I don't think there is a set timeline at this point.

Reply to: North Shore Hikes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kapaa
Recent Conversations