We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ka U`i O Ka `Aina Cultural Center - Coconut Marketplace open

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,902 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Ka U`i O Ka `Aina Cultural Center - Coconut Marketplace open

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Just thought I'd let people know that there is now a Cultural Center at the Coconut Marketplace in Kapa'a - it is called "Ka U'i O Ka 'Aina" (The beautiful of the land) - and had its grand opening last Saturday.

I'll fully disclose that this is being run by Kumu Hula (hula teacher) Leilani Rivera Bond - and as most of you know, she is a very close friend of mine as well as being my hula teacher - but I thought that it was something worthwhile to let people know about who are interested in cultural activities here on Kaua'i.

It is open (free of charge) every day from 9am to 4pm and features demonstrations every day of a different type (I'll get the schedule for you) - hula one day, Tahitian hip movement the next, lei making,

Ni'ihau shell lei making, as well as ukulele lessons (by Uncle Larry Rivera) are all some things that are featured weekly.

The Cultural Center was opened last Saturday by our Mayor Carvahlo as well as Rep. Derek Kawakami - Mama Ane Kanahele and Auntie Val both did the pule at the opening and a performance of hula and maori dancing was done.

The Cultural Center focuses on not only Hawaiian Cultural aspects and exhibits, but also the closely tied to Hawai'i - Maori culture of New Zealand.

As mentioned before, it is free of charge and if you are interested in seeing something purely cultural while you are here - this would certainly fill the bill!

Hope this is of interest to you!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Ka U`i O Ka `Aina Cultural Center - Coconut Marketplace open

Garden Island News story on attempt to bring some life back to Coconut MarketPlace:

thegardenisland.com/business/local/article_0…

Medford
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ka U`i O Ka `Aina Cultural Center - Coconut Marketplace open

I've added this to my "Things to do while in Kaui" list! Lei making, hula classes....PERFECT!

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Ka U`i O Ka `Aina Cultural Center - Coconut Marketplace open

"Kauai Cultural Center - Ka U'i O Ka 'Aina web site is up and running and has calendar of events etc.

http://kauaiculturalcenter.com/

Note: Sign on window at their location in Coconut MarketPlace says web site ends in .org but when I use it I am taken to .com so posted that way.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Ka U`i O Ka `Aina Cultural Center - Coconut Marketplace open

This is Great!

Marked for an absolute must "to do" on our next trip.

(...And it's awesome to see uke & slack key getting some love too!!)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Ka U`i O Ka `Aina Cultural Center - Coconut Marketplace open

>> "Kauai Cultural Center - Ka U'i O Ka 'Aina web site is up and running and has calendar of events etc.

http://kauaiculturalcenter.com/ <<

heh. My first thought was that their "blog page" was written in bona fide Hawaiian but upon closer observation, I realized it's just a lorem ipsum! :)

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur.

Cardiff, United...
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Ka U`i O Ka `Aina Cultural Center - Coconut Marketplace open

Visited the cultural centre when i on the isle in Sept 2012 what an inspiration for visitors. knowledge of past cultural life and the efforts to maintain this for the future is well worth while i wish you all the best for the future.

i met Leilani at the centre and attended her shows at the grand hyatt very inspiring to a welshman whom like many hawaiians are very proud of their heritage.

i also met Larry on several occasions while on the isle and can honestly say what a gentleman.

larry and myself have passed e mails for some 2 years until finally meeting up in the car park at coco palms, wish him all the best from linda and myself and the forthcoming elvis event at the palms, many thanks to leilani for her sweet voice

Mahalo

Bill (william) kerchey

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,902 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Ka U`i O Ka `Aina Cultural Center - Coconut Marketplace open

Aloha from Kaua'i!

This information is on another thread, but since this was brought up, I'll also post it here.

There is going to be a day-long celebration of the one-year anniversary of the Cultural Center tomorrow - Monday, Oct. 8th - here is the schedule of events;

Monday, October 8, 2012

"E Ola Na Hana No`eau O Hawai`i”

The Hawaiian Arts Live

4 pm

Hawaiian Arts Demonstrations and Workshops :

· Pupu o Ni`ihau………………………………. Kanahele `Ohana

· Holei `Upena (throw net weaving)….Charlie Perreira

· Coconut Frond Weaving………………….Nelson Ka`ai

· Lauhala Weaving……………………………..Margaret Lovett

· Kiho`alu Music……………………………… Michael Keale, Haunani Kau`i

AND Kaua’i’s Legendary Living Treasure — Uncle Larry Rivera

6 pm

· Opening Pule………………………………….. Mama`ane Kanahele

`Anake Valetta Jeremiah

6:45 pm

· Pa`u La`i (ti leaf skirt)

· Laua`e Haku (Haku style hair piece)

· Lei La`i (ti leaf lei)

· Eyelash yarn lei

· Tahitian hip hae (ti leaf hipband)

7 pm

· Maori Dance Workshop with `Anake Valetta Jeremiah

Tahitian Drumming Workshop

Sunday, October 7, @ Ka U`i O Ka `Aina

Advanced 10am – 1 pm . . . By invitation only

Beginners 3 – 6 pm . . . Public invited. Handouts, CD included in workshop fee.

Fee: $25. Please register by Oct. 3 with payment at the Cultural Center

For information call or text: Leilani Low – 808-651-0682 or Darryl Low 808- 651-0864

Malama Pono,

Janet

Vancouver
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Ka U`i O Ka `Aina Cultural Center - Coconut Marketplace open

Mahalo for the info! I will be coming to Kauai in Dec & will check this out for sure! I dance with Halau Hula Ka'uhane o ka Pakipika, in BC Canada & will be missing my hula sisters. This sounds like a cool place to visit!

19. Re: Ka U`i O Ka `Aina Cultural Center - Coconut Marketplace open

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2013, 05:15