We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap eats in Kaui

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
cheap eats in Kaui

where is the posts for 3 chis, cheap eats in Kaui

California
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: cheap eats in Kaui

I am here now in Poipu and nothing is cheap. But I knew that before we came so I am prepared. I have not found great food. But that is ok. Even the grocery store is expensive. Today I bought one avocado and it was $3.50. I was shocked. I did buy an avocado on the road side for less than a dollar which was great so I keep an eye out for people who sell fruit from their property. I find the best thing to do is to share a meal and find Happy Hour for drinks. Then if still hungry always have snacks on hand.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,049 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: cheap eats in Kaui

Po`ipu, being a major tourist area, is going to be expensive. I'm guessing you bought your avocado at Whole Foods in Kukui`ula Marketplace? They're way overpriced. Shop the farmers markets. There's a great one Saturday in Puhi, not too far from you.

Kaua`i is not know a "foodie heaven," but there is good food to be found. Do a search on this forum for restaurants.

California
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: cheap eats in Kaui

Was not Whole Foods. I have a huge problem figuring out names here! It was my own fault as it was next to a dive shop with few places. I am going to hit the Farmers Market soon.

As for "good eats" I agree. The food here so far is not great. And most seems to be in shopping centers so again......for "tourists".

After all the great reviews on Tortilla Republic I must say that we were very dissapointed. Yes, the atmosphere was clean and pretty (like all the places in the shopping centers) . How odd to order a burrito and when asked if one wants

"beans/rice" on side or "salad" I dumbly picked "beans/rice". Ha! Why would they offer that when those same beans and rice are in the burrito? It was a very pretty burrito but sorry folks, just fair. Maybe because I am from CA where Mexican food is apleanty?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,049 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: cheap eats in Kaui

Most upscale restaurants are not in shopping centers. You just haven't found them. Plantation Gardens, Beach House, Tidepools, Hukilau Lanai, Oasis, The Tavern, Mediterranean Gourmet. If you want cheap eats, there are lots of places around that are cheap and pretty good, even if they are in shopping centers. If you're insisting on only free-standing restaurants you're pretty much out of luck here.

Personally, I can take or leave Tortilla Republic. For Mexican I like Federico's,in Princeville. but that's in a shopping center. And, yes, I do know what good Mexican food is.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
910 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: cheap eats in Kaui

We tried TR a couple weeks ago, kinda on the fence. Felt that we paid for the view, which is great, but IMHO the food was just ordinary. BH had chicken mole enchiladas, she said just ok. After a day of hiking I was pretty hungry (like every day!) so I ordered the carnitas plate. Expected to leave full but did not. For the price, I could have gotten 3 Carnitas Pibil plates at Taco Mesa, our local favorite, and left satisfied every time. TR is a pretty restaurant, the drinks were good, but I'm really glad we didn't drive from Princeville only to eat there...

On our last day, we had lunch at Da Crack, which is cheap, big portions, and great food. Thanks for the tip, Janet !

Edited: 27 October 2012, 12:18
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,902 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: cheap eats in Kaui

Aloha from Kaua'i!

There are a couple of inexpensive places to grab food here in the Po'ipu area -but they are take-out only I'm afraid.

As mentioned in the post above - "Da Crack" is inexpensive, large portions of good quality, made-to-order Mexican food - I go there every Friday nite after working torchlighting at the Hyatt and bring home food. Last nite we had veggie burritos - I sometimes can't finish mine for dinner, they are so large. And residents can afford them! lol

Also there is Sueoka Snack Shop in Old Koloa Town. Very inexpensive take out of local dishes as well as burgers, etc. - open for breakfast and lunch.

This is a VDA (visitor destination area) - so 99.9% of the establishments here are geared to visitors - who tend to spend more $$ on food, etc. than residents - you'll need to go outside of areas like this to get what I consider inexpensive meals.

It is easy to drive into Lihu'e, which has many inexpensive, local restaurants - or to drive West to Hanapepe and Waimea - where you'll also find places geared to residents wallets.

I notice that "painnurse" has posted several negative comments on several threads here about restaurants here in the Po'ipu area. My suggestion to her would be to venture outside the Po'ipu area to find more dining choices that are reasonable - also there are many "honor stands" all over the island (there are several within a 10 minute drive of the Po'ipu area) that sell produce, flowers, etc. from stands in front of their homes - very seldom will you pay more than $1.00 for any one item (except flowers)......

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: cheap eats in Kaui

I may sound negative about food in Kauai but I am not unhappy. I do not expect fantastic food when I vacation as I cook at home and know it is difficult to do better. So I am not really complaining. Just stating facts. We ate at Da Crack last night take out and portions were big. The only down size is that the chicken burrito was mostly dark chicken and had a bone in it. Careful if you ask for "spicy" as the sauce is very hot.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,902 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: cheap eats in Kaui

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I love the "hot" sauce at Da Crack and always get a side of jalapenos as well - lol - love that hot stuff!

Husband always orders "mild" sauce on his food there and it is very mild indeed.......if you don't like spicy or hot sauce - order the "mild" instead - if my hubby doesn't think it is too hot - I'm pretty sure it is tame indeed!

Since I don't eat meat, can't comment on their meat quality, etc. - but all the fish or veggie items I've had are super! The fish tacos are wonderful as well (not fried and battered) and you can get either chipotle sauce or creamy wasabi sauce on them - yum!

Also, a good tip is to call ahead to order - that way you don't have to wait in line (sometimes it is very busy) when you get there - just go to the side window and wait to pay for your item......they are such a "Mom and Pop" type operation that I don't even need to tell them what I want - unless I'm changing my order they always know what my standing order is and just fix it for me - love places that know you like that!

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: cheap eats in Kaui

Will go back and get fish tacos next. Yummmy

20. Re: cheap eats in Kaui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2013, 05:15