We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai with school kids

Garibaldi, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai with school kids

Any good tips or things that my family (boy, 8; girl, 6) shouldn't miss during our trip to Kauai this December? My wife and I were married in Kauai ten years ago and are looking forward to taking our kids. Kind of on a budget, but will probably splurge once or twice.

Edited: 04 December 2012, 07:08
California
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai with school kids

Where are you staying? My grandkids really liked the tubing adventure when they were about that age. www.kauaibackcountry.com

If you're staying on the North Shore, I'd recommend the luau at Mediterranean Gourmet on Tues. evening.

California
Level Contributor
37,472 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai with school kids

We enjoyed the tubing too but its pretty pricey. They might enjoy being a passenger on the ATV's or learning to surf. If you are staying in Poipu they could boogie board and snorkel at Lawai Beach. At The Hyatt Hotel there is a free torchlighting ceremony and on some nights the little girls have a hula show. Your six year old would love that. Under the Kauai posts and to the right are top questions. There's one on hiking with kids and another on things not to miss. A nice afternoon is renting bikes along the Coconut Coast and stopping for lunch at someplace like Scottys with a great view. Don't miss a day trip to the North Shore and enjoy Anini Beach, seeing the wet and dry caves near Haena, having shave ice at Wishing Well and walking around Hanalei Town. There's also a goat farm to visit. I have never done it but some have enjoyed it.

If you are going during the holiday season, make reservations now for any activities. Also for restaurants.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,096 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai with school kids

First of all, show your kids the spot where you were married. They might groan about it being corny but years from now they'll remember it and appreciate it.

When mine wre that age I didn't find we had to look for any age-specfic activities for them. I guess that's because I'm a kid at heart and enjoyed doing the same things they did. Looking for special beaches and opportunities to boogie board, try some surfing, anything water related was always a hit and usually ate up most of our time. Mine also immensely enjoyed Napali boat cruises no matter how old or young they were. Son #1 went on his first Napali tour at age 3 and all enjoyed it through their teen years too.

While considered corny and touristy both my kids and all of their first timer friends we took with enjoyed a luau. All enjoyed the dancing and especially the more exhuberant and faster. The fire knife dancing at the end was always a big hit. This was something we all enjoyed so didn't have to go out of our way to do it for them.

We never did the likes of ziplining, atv's or tubing. I don't know, they never even expressed any interest in it. Your kids might be thrilled with an opportunity to do one or two. Not sure what the age limits are. Others can help you with that.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,786 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai with school kids

Minimum age for ziplining is 7. We had to wait for my youngest to turn 7 before we could take them. They loved the ATV tour we took last summer out at Kipu Ranch. Minimum age for that tour is 5.

http://www.kiputours.com/waterfalltour.php

My kids also love going to Kamalani Playground at Lydgate Park. I usually bring a book and read while they play. It's an awesome playground and my kids even enjoyed it last summer at ages 10 and 13.

A luau is a great idea as well though my boys were never thrilled when we took them. If you are staying in Kapaa, you might want to check out Smith's. We really loved the luau at Med. Gourmet but it may be too long of a drive.

Edited: 04 December 2012, 14:06
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,065 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai with school kids

When you're on the south shore check out Spouting Horn. The kids will get a kick out of it. The chickens there are used to people and will come close. (Don't feed them, though.)

If your kids have no problems with car travel, don't miss the drive up Waimea Canyon. You can get shave ice in Waimea town at Jojo's Anuenue (NOT Jojo's Clubhouse).

Horseback riding, maybe? CJM in Po`ipu does good rides.

Thursday night (I think) pizza buffet at Brick Oven Pizza in Kapa`a?

There's a relatively new cultural center in the Coconut Marketplace - Ka U`i o ka `Aina - where there may be some interesting things happening. http://kauaiculturalcenter.com/

If you happen to be coming this week, the Christmas Festival of Lights and parade are on Friday, 12-7 in Lihu`e.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,639 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai with school kids

My youngest was 6 for our first trip to Kauai - learned how to snorkel on that trip - and they loved Lydgate - the playground and the swimming.

I would recommend trying shave ice every where you see it - decide what your favorite is . . . my kids loved doing that and it isn't expensive.

My kids loved Smith's luau.

Give your kids there own cameras - yes, we have a million chicken photos, but that is what the 6 year old enjoyed the most.

We really didn't do much - pretty much went to the beach every day except the one day we went to Waimea Canyon and Kokee state park and after 16 days, they wanted to move to Kauai. Oh, and I think kayaking up the Hanalei river would be nice and relaxing, but have yet to talk someone in to doing that with me. Have fun! :)

Upland, California
Level Contributor
162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai with school kids

We went with our 11, 9 and 6 year olds this past summer. Poipu beach park was a favorite. It has some wave action, snorkeling, and tide pools. My kids loved riding the waves across the tombolo. Rent snorkel gear or buy at walmart. We had fun doing SUP near Hanalei pier but I think that won't work in the winter. We hiked to the lookout on the Kalalau trail. Favorite family eats were Chicken in a Barrel ( chicken only), Brick Oven Pizza buffet night and keoki's.

Parksville, B.C.
Level Contributor
52 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai with school kids

Just returned home from 2 weeks on Kauai with our kids (son 8 daughter 6) both had a blast playing in the waves all day long(free)! Kealia beach just north of Kapaa was great. Lydgate was nice for swimming, the playground is amazing. My son and I took surfing lessons at Hanalei: what a hoot! He had no problem at all. Both kids really enjoyed Smith's family luau, feeding the peacocks was a highlight as was the after dinner show. Kalapaki beach was a nice place to go to play in the waves right after getting our rental car. Poipu was good for my daughter to splash around while my son was at Brennecke( right next to each other). Anahola was good for swimming on the south end and a 10 minute walk to the north end for boogie boarding. Renting bikes in Kapaa to ride the beachside trail was a good way to spend a couple hours ($7.50 each bike for 2 hours). They even had a trailer for mu daughter, who wasn't into pedaling so much that day.

Edited: 08 December 2012, 14:45
new york
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai with school kids

check out smiths luau show only. tickets for the kids are $7.50 .

10. Re: Kauai with school kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2013, 05:17