We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Conditioning needed in August

Williamstown, NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Air Conditioning needed in August

We are looking at different places to stay in Kauai in August for Vacation.

We noticed many do not have AC. Isn't it hot in August or do the winds keep it cool and AC is not needed?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,269 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Conditioning needed in August

Electricity is horribly expensive. We've come in August, Sept and October/Nov....never really felt the need for A/C, the trade winds keep things nice in the afternoon and eve. However if there are Kona winds (south/west), it can get very sticky. We experienced them for the first time (since 2006) when we arrived in late October last year. If your accommodations have ceiling fans in every room, windows that open and is positioned to get good airflow - it's makes all the difference. Luckily, we cooled off well and quickly.

3Chihuahuas

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,639 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Conditioning needed in August

I have never wanted/needed AC, but whether you want AC or not is subject to experience. Some people love/need AC and won't be happy with out it - so that makes it a very subjective question.

victoria
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Conditioning needed in August

August is a hot month. I've stayed in air-conditioned and non air-condition rooms. Depending on how your hotel and windows are facing the trade winds will determine how hot your room will be without air-conditioning. I don't like AC but some rooms can get pretty toasty without it.

p a
unict
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Conditioning needed in August

Yes, it IS hot in August. We need AC.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Conditioning needed in August

3chis and the others are pretty much right on. As visitors we did not have a/c but it seemed the alignment of the windows and doors were with the trades. And, as 3 chis stated, you should be aligned with the tradewinds.

Also, as mentioned electricity is expensive and the cost of continual using of A/C can run several hundred dollars a month. The best place that we stayed was up in Princeville, at the HANALEI BAY RESORT, and they have forced air , A/C, or whatever the termnology. Works outstanding, and you have a remote control to adjust, change, or turn on or off.

We turned it off when we left for the day, or did not need it.

However, what we do see, here at Banyan Harbor we have a mix of residients, time share, and vacation rentals....and the time share and short term vacatioin rentals, just leave the window A/C going 24 hours a day.

Gotta go, time to bbq some of those aussie lamb chops.

Denny

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,639 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Conditioning needed in August

Yes - staying north would really help. :)

California
Level Contributor
37,472 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Conditioning needed in August

I say yes! August can be quite warm and sticky. If you live on the island, like Denny, you get used to going without because 1. you don't want to pay the high electricity bills, and 2. there aren't many condos with it,but if you are coming from an area where you are used to it and you don't have it.....you will be miserable especially at night. I am kind of a big baby about being hot. IF I want it I have it on, if not its off. At least I have that option.

Some places, due to the way they are exposed, can get stuffy and very warm. If you decide to forgo a/c, close up the blinds during the day.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,096 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Conditioning needed in August

Hotel rooms have air conditioning because they need it. There is little to no natural means of cooling. One hallway entrance into the room and a sliding patio door makes for a pretty toasty environment.

But there's a minority of condos that could use it also. Not all were built with natural cooling in mind. How many windows and patio doors, the height of the ceilings, number of ceiling fans, the direction the unit faces in the hot afternoon and whether or not there is taller foliage for shade around the unit will all determine if it's needed.

Williamstown, NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Conditioning needed in August

We have no problem with no AC if there is a good breeze to keep it cool and not stuffy. We went to Dominica a few years ago and stayed at a place with no AC it was actually cold at night sleeping and we needed a sheet and light blanket in August with the trade winds.

If it was hot and stuffy it would have made for a miserable vacation. I grew up in a house that didn't even have AC in New Jersey in the 1960 and 70s. Is there a nice cool breeze om Kauai?

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,096 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Conditioning needed in August

You'll be fine then. If you comfortably spent time in the Caribbean in August and even found you got a little cool at night then Kauai won't be a challenge at all for you. Not nearly as humid as the Caribbean in August and greater tradewinds.normally.