We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beachfront hotel or hotel with easy beach access

Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Beachfront hotel or hotel with easy beach access

Hi there! :) My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Kauai at the end of August and are looking for a beachfront hotel or at least with "decent" easy access to a beach, that is great for freediving/snorkeling/scuba.

Our first week we will be staying at Princeville with no direct beach access and will have to drive a bunch, and since we are avid freedivers, we want our final week on the south side of the island to have more beach access. Any recommendations? Also, a hotel with a restaurant or walking distance to restaurants is preferred. :)

Thanks!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,934 posts
1 review
1. Re: Beachfront hotel or hotel with easy beach access

This is an easy one. The answer is either the Sheraton Resort or Koa Kea Resort in Poipu. Both on Poipu Beach, both in easy walking distance to restaurants.

California
Level Contributor
41,223 posts
130 reviews
2. Re: Beachfront hotel or hotel with easy beach access

Napaguy....Can you scuba in front of Sheraton? Free diving? I didn't think so but those two hotels are the only true beachfront hotels in Poipu. If you don't want a hotel, then Kiahuna Plantation is an option.

During the summer, diving etc will be better on the North Shore.

Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Beachfront hotel or hotel with easy beach access

I LOVE Koa Kea, but sadly it's just a LITTLE out of our price range :( We don't scuba, we just do freediving/snorkeling, I only say scuba for dive location depths of 40+ feet, cause that's easy for us when freediving (we enjoy shallow diving too of course) Anybody know about Koloa Resort (I know about Koloa landing for diving) and then anything about Whaler's Cove Resort?

California
Level Contributor
41,223 posts
130 reviews
4. Re: Beachfront hotel or hotel with easy beach access

Koloa Landing are condos now managed by Marriott and very new and upgraded. They are finishing up a beautiful pool and more buildings but by August that should be finished. I've only seen the interior of the units, never stayed there, but I would. Whalers Cove are older units. Some are nicer than others. If you consider Whalers, I would consider Poipu Kapili or Alihi Lani.

Edited: 31 December 2016, 12:59
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,934 posts
1 review
5. Re: Beachfront hotel or hotel with easy beach access

Jebett, yes, people do scuba out in front of the Sheraton. In fact there is a popular dive spot there called the "Sheraton reef". Some small diving operations will take you there. So yes, the Sheraton would meet all their needs. Of course they could stay anywhere and go to Fathom Five for their diving tours off the south shore.

Edited: 01 January 2017, 12:09
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,934 posts
1 review
6. Re: Beachfront hotel or hotel with easy beach access

Correction, it's called the "Sheraton Caverns". You'll find it on this dive map.....

http://seasportdivers.com/snorkel_dive_map/

A very short comment about it:

sportdiver.com/destinations/hawaii/divers-gu…

Edited: 01 January 2017, 12:13
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,934 posts
1 review
7. Re: Beachfront hotel or hotel with easy beach access

Dayna, on that numbered dive map, click on the numbers and it will give you more info. on each dive / snorkel spot.

8. Re: Beachfront hotel or hotel with easy beach access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2018, 00:17