We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kid-friendly accommodation

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
31 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Kid-friendly accommodation

Hi everyone,

We are planning a somewhat last-minute trip to Poipu, Kauai next month. We have 3 kids - 22 months (at time of travel), 4 & 6. Ideally we would like a child friendly pool and close proximity to a 'safe' beach. We would also like at least one bedroom as my little one still naps and we probably wouldn't get a wink of sleep if we all shared! I've looked at the Marriott, Kiahuana Plantation (this gets very mixed reviews?) and the Koloa (there seems to be a lot of construction here). I realize it's a busy time so availability may be a big issue but would appreciate any recommendations that you might have. Many thanks in advance!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,648 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kid-friendly accommodation

Do you have a budget in mind? I would look at Poipu Kai, Nihil Kai, Kiahuna Plantation, Poipu Kapili.

California
Level Contributor
40,663 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kid-friendly accommodation

You should contact a rental agency like Great Vacations or Parrish and have them help you. Feb is such a busy time especially in Poipu. Maybe consider Waipouli Beach Resort on the eastside. It has a fabulous pool for little ones and you can probably find some good deals. To enjoy the beach you will probably need to drive to sunnier areas but you never know what the eastside is going to offer.

Honestly with that many kids, get a 2 bedroom.

California
Level Contributor
40,663 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kid-friendly accommodation

This rental agency is very good for finding something at WBR.

summitpacific.com/kauai/…

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kid-friendly accommodation

With kids that age you want to be as close to Poipu Beach Park as you can get. There is a wonderful protected children's swimming area there.

Since your trip is last minute you need to pull out the big guns and let one or two good rental agents go through their entire inventory of what they have available. The ones I'm recommending below have most of the inventory in Poipu. You can check on VRBO too but they have their units listed there also, individually. Contacting them directly is more efficient.

Parrish Kauai Collection

Great Vacation Retreats

Suite Paradise

Be prepared to possibly have to piece together a stay at a couple of places. This is something they can present to you as an option if you're willing.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
31 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kid-friendly accommodation

Thank you. This has been very helpful. I will work on it tonight and let you know how I get on. Greatly appreciated!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,648 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kid-friendly accommodation

On Parrish's website, you can plug in the dates you want and search all of the south shore (upper right corner, "Check Availability". Click on Location = South Shore, Properties = Condo. You can also select # Bedrooms, View and Rate.

http://www.parrishkauai.com/search/

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,648 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kid-friendly accommodation

Suite-Paradise has a similar search function though I'm not too familiar with it.

http://www.suite-paradise.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kid-friendly accommodation

We havent stayed there yet but in a couple of weeks we are staying at the Kaha Kani resort with our toddler. We booked it as its near to a playpark and beach and not far from the airport, seems easy to access all areas of the island from there.

California
Level Contributor
40,663 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kid-friendly accommodation

Just be VERY careful driving out of the entrance onto the highway and making a left. Its one of the most accident prone areas of the island.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Kid-friendly accommodation

"I've looked at the Marriott, Kiahuana Plantation (this gets very mixed reviews?)"

Kiahuna Plantation is a wonderful place and one of a kind on Kauai. It's the only south shore complex that sits right on a good swimming beach. Every complex gets mixed reviews. I wouldn't worry. Kiahuna Plantation has a very high percentage of repeat guests and can be hard to get into. That says it all. You can find bugs in all places including expensive hotels. You can hear noise from other guests at most places. If you're even able to get into Kiahuna Plantation at this late date I'd say go for it. Know though that the one bedrooms are smaller square footage and there aren't as many two bedroom units. If you can get into one it's a slam dunk.

Walk along the beach to the Koa Kea hotel right next to it. The beach area in front of the Koa Kea is wonderful for little ones. It's a bay with a protective reef. Walk another 10 minutes along the waterfront, past the Marriott Waiohai, and you're at the children's protected swimming area at Poipu Beach Park.

You mentioned the Marriott. If this is the Marriott Waiohai in Poipu that's another easy decision.