We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton Kauai

Orange County...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Sheraton Kauai

We have a garden room for July 2017 which fits within our budget. I am getting concerned after reading negative reviews that the room will be in poor condition. For the room rate we don't expect a luxury room, but expect a nice updated room to come back to after sightseeing and a decent night's sleep. For the price and category level Sheraton should make sure that the carpet, paint, grout, AC, furniture, and mattresses are in good shape. I expect a room better than a budget motel. Should I stay somewhere else? I read that this place will be changing to a timeshare. Will this negatively affect our stay in July 2017?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton Kauai

I often use Oyster.com to see the condition of a room we have reserved. I think the timeshares will be behind the hotel but I'm not 100% sure of this. The subject of the timeshares has been talked about for years with nothing really happening, yet.

https:/…

California
Level Contributor
40,353 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton Kauai

It will be better than an average hotel but not 5 star. I've stayed there and it was fine. Don't worry. It will meet your standards I am sure. Its on a great beach. The timeshare thing is stalled. If it does start (which is extremely doubtful) change hotels then.

Just understand the garden rooms are across the street from the main hotel and beach. Sign up to be a Sheraton member and maybe they will upgrade you.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,438 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton Kauai

Yes, you'll be fine, given your reasonable expectations. I believe many of the negative reviews of the Sheraton are a matter of expectations. The garden wing buildings are indeed older. People book them for the great price but then set their expectations too high and presume they're going to have those 5-star rooms and views they see in slick photos of other hotels. I guarantee it will be better than a budget motel room. You have realistic expectations and needs going in so all will be fine. The Sheraton sits on the finest piece of real estate on the south shore. Other resorts would love to be on that parcel of land.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton Kauai

I am a Starwood timeshare owner and this hotel is supposed to be a timeshare property sometime in the future. I can almost guarantee that it won't happen by July. I own at the Westin Princeville and can't wait until this is also an option. We stayed here several years ago and had an oceanfront room. The garden views are across the street and have their own pool. The deluxe garden view rooms are on the back side of the oceanfront building. As jebett recommends sign up for the SPG program. It is free and you may get benefits just by being a member. When we were there we got free valet parking and that was our first stay as SPG members.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton Kauai

We stayed in a garden view room this past October. There was absolutly nothing wrong with the room. It was in very good shape. No problems with the bed either. We didn't use the pool there I like the one next to the beach better.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,438 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton Kauai

Fishdiva, I'm happy that you posted this. People need to also hear some positive experiences. It's not a 5 star resort and doesn't try to be. The rooms are clean, the beach setting is great and it's in a great location for getting out and walking to things. I wish the garden buildings were not going the timeshare route. Kauai is the timeshare capital of Hawaii. What Kauai does need is moderately priced rooms in the most popular areas of the island. After this goes timeshare there won't be any in Poipu.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Orange County...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton Kauai

Thank you all for your replies to my questions. I already am a SPG member. From your replies it sounds like the room will be fine. I can rest a little easier. It also sounds as though only the Garden section is going to be time shares in the future? That is SAD that those who can not afford to break the bank on vacation spending or who don't have a lot of SPG points will not be able to stay in this specific area right on the beach in a full service hotel. It may send us back to Maui or the Big Island for future trips.

Mentioned in this post
California
Level Contributor
40,353 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton Kauai

You will still be able to use your SPG points but it will be a newer and nicer room that are now timeshares. The part of the hotel right on the beach will still be there. Its the across the road ones that will be converted.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,438 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton Kauai

"That is SAD that those who can not afford to break the bank on vacation spending or who don't have a lot of SPG points will not be able to stay in this specific area right on the beach in a full service hotel. It may send us back to Maui or the Big Island for future trip"

Yes, Lynne. This is exactly my point also. The Sheraton garden buildings are the best deal going for a hotel room in Poipu. No other Kauai hotel gives you the location on a good swimming beach at that price ( some room locations at the Marriott in Lihue would be a close second though). When these Sheraton rooms convert to timeshare that will bar many from staying in a reasonably priced hotel room in Poipu. Not everyone can afford the Grand Hyatt or Koa Kea Resort or even the oceanfront rooms at the Sheraton.

The older places are either going "boutique" ( read: pricey) or timeshare. I don't know when this timeshare thing is going to slow down on Kauai. You're right, Maui offers much more selection in moderately priced hotels in good locations. It's really a shame, in my opinion.

Edited: 04 February 2017, 00:52
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
2,347 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sheraton Kauai

Generally their timeshare villas are studios, or 1 bedroom with a two bedroom being those two side by side. They are fully stocked with kitchens and all utensils etc. Both have a queen sofa bed as well as a king or queen bed. They also have washers and dryers in the villa. They are also available to rent. The Westin in Princeville studios are about $340 in summer. It is more than the garden room but you get more as well. The washer/dryer makes it much easier to pack less because you can wash every day if needed. If you prepare some of your meals you will save money on food.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI