We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving departure--logistical question

Denver
Level Contributor
46 posts
13 reviews
Thanksgiving departure--logistical question

Hi, I know there have been a number of threads about Thanksgiving dinner at restaurants...my question is mostly logistical (but I'd welcome restaurant suggestions too). We will be leaving Poipu/Kauai to return home the night of Thanksgiving. Flight is at 9:30. Wondering if it would make more sense to spend the day in Poipu, have an early dinner somewhere, then head to Lihue to the airport, OR would we be better off spending afternoon in Lihue area and eating dinner there before heading to airport. First time to Kauai, so not very familiar with the different areas, esp Lihue and surroundings. Thanks in advance for any expert advice.

7 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
41,633 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: Thanksgiving departure--logistical question

If this were me, I would make an early dinner reservation at Dukes neat the airport. They put on a nice dinner.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,866 posts
2. Re: Thanksgiving departure--logistical question

Will your luggage be held by your condo/hotel post checkout?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,784 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: Thanksgiving departure--logistical question

Even if their luggage isnʻt held they can valet park at Dukeʻs, which is pretty safe.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
19,094 posts
1 review
4. Re: Thanksgiving departure--logistical question

Presuming you have to check out of your lodging in Poipu in the morning hours, I don't think it makes any difference whether you spend the day in Poipu or closer to the airport.

The key is if and where you'll be able to clean-up and change before dinner/ airport. If you're staying in a condo you could ask for a later checkout. Sometimes it works out if no one else is checking into the condo that day. Some will charge for it while some just give it to you. Red eye flights are very common today and lodging managers have had to adapt to that. Some will let you stay up until your flight departure for 50% of the nightly rate. Some will charge 100% but it's money well spent.

Hotels might give you a later checkout but it's less likely than with a condo. If nothing else they might hold your bags while you're playing at the beach.

You'll need to find out all of your options before making a decision.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,866 posts
5. Re: Thanksgiving departure--logistical question

pzp,

When I wrote my post, no one had posted yet.

Just needed some preliminary info before tossing out ideas that might not work logistically. It would also be helpful to know where they are staying.

Denver
Level Contributor
46 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Thanksgiving departure--logistical question

thank you all for the initial thoughts! We are staying our last night in Poipu at the Marriott Koloa Landing resort using points. If the area near the airport has any interesting attractions or activities, we wouldn't mind leaving Poipu mid-morning and spending the day around Lihue, getting an earlyish dinner and then heading to airport. But, if it would be tough to find things to do (with kids, 7 and 17), then we'd rather stay in Poipu, have an early dinner and then head straight to airport. Hopefully that clarifies our situation a bit for more specific recommendations. Thank you!

California
Level Contributor
41,633 posts
130 reviews
7. Re: Thanksgiving departure--logistical question

I would stay at Koloa Landing as long as possible but a late checkout might not be possible.Maybe they would hold your luggage for some last minute Poipu activities. I am not one that loves to be sweaty on the flight back.

Reply to: Thanksgiving departure--logistical question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted