We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poipu oceanfront condo without a road view

Nebraska
Level Contributor
50 posts
21 reviews
Poipu oceanfront condo without a road view

I will be staying on Kauai next August, and have narrowed my lodging search down to Poipu. I don't need beachfront, but walking distance to a beach would be nice though not critical. More importantly, I would like oceanfront. However, so many oceanfront condos I am finding have a road directly in front of them, between the condo and the ocean. I've seen on google maps that this may not always be the case, but haven't figured out yet what those places are that don't have the road in front of them. Does this really not bother anyone?

I would like to keep the budget under $500/night (including fees/taxes), though would consider slightly higher for a great place. I would like a pool, tropically landscaped, 2-3 BR, 2BA, A/C desirable. We are a family of five (3 teenagers).

9 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
390 posts
166 reviews
1. Re: Poipu oceanfront condo without a road view

I prefer to be right on the water, rather than across the street from it, so here's my perspective on the complexes you might want to check out.

There are a number of condo complexes right on the water. Poipu Shores, Poipu Makai, Poipu Palms and The Makahuena are all right on the lava bluffs between Poipu Beach and Makahuena Point (the southernmost point on the island). Poipu Sands is a bit further away from Poipu Beach and right next to the Grand Hyatt and Shipwrecks Beach. Shipwrecks isn't really a swimmable beach, but it is the beginning of the Mahaulelpu Heritage Trail. Poipu Sands is set back further from the bluffs than the other condos.

The Makahuena and Poipu Sands have some units that are more ocean view than ocean front- so if you want ocean front, make sure you get an oceanfront unit in building 3 or 5 at The Makahuena. Someone else can help you out with the building number closest to the ocean at Poipu Sands. If you like to walk, you can have beautiful coastal walks without getting in your car or being on the street from these two complexes.

Kiahuna Plantation has a few 2 bedroom condos and they are right on the beach- next to the Sheraton. Beautiful property, but I don't think the 2 bedroom condos are oceanfront.

Maybe a 10 minute walk from the beach in front of Kiahuna is Whalers Cove. A beautiful property with an oceanfront pool and small grassy area between one building (the other has pool in front of it) and the water. Whalers Cove is in a flatter area than the others mentioned above so while I love it, I think the views are more dramatic from the bluffs.

Near Lawai Beach (good for snorkeling, very small sandy area) is Kuhio Shores, which is a large building with units facing the water. No pool and very small grounds. While it has great views, I've found the units relatively small and the "second bathroom" in a unit I saw was basically part of the second bedroom- if you stay there, make sure you know what the second bathroom configuration is.

California
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Poipu oceanfront condo without a road view

https:/…condo-142.html

Take a look at this condo at Kiahuna Plantation. We’ve rented from this owner before and highly recommend. No a/c and pool across the street but on one of the best beaches on Kauai and within walking distance to shops and restaurants. Another good choice would be the Marriot Waiohai in Poipu, just a short walk from Kiahuna.

California
Level Contributor
41,636 posts
130 reviews
3. Re: Poipu oceanfront condo without a road view

Whalers Cove is another to check out. Not on the beach but GREAT views.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
390 posts
166 reviews
4. Re: Poipu oceanfront condo without a road view

22Kauai... Stayed in their one bedroom, beachfront unit, one time. Phenomenal location!

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
147 reviews
5. Re: Poipu oceanfront condo without a road view

Check out the Marriott timeshares at Waiohai. Hits all you requirements. Rentals on Redweek for August 2019 are going for less than $500 per night.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,857 posts
59 reviews
6. Re: Poipu oceanfront condo without a road view

Whaler's Cove is a very nice complex. Directly on the ocean, very quiet and beautiful views!

https:/…

https://www.whalerscoveresort.com/

https://www.vrbo.com/

Edited: 14 November 2018, 14:43
Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
81 reviews
7. Re: Poipu oceanfront condo without a road view

Poipu Shores was great. The unit we were in was definitely older, but clean and had the *best* view! Small lawn, then the waves crashing on the rocks and a pool right over the water. About a 10 min walk to Poipu Beach from a small side gate and down a quiet street.

The units have a nice garden area with grills. The parking is a little tight, but we always had a space. Nice view all the way down the coast. The outdoor halls can be a bit loud during the evening hours, but nothing terrible, and much like any Kauai condo, no A/C but the breeze was plenty cool, even in late June. The waves can really boom on the rocks - it lulled us right to sleep but it's definitely something to consider if noise keeps you up.

DeWitt, Arkansas
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Poipu oceanfront condo without a road view

Look at. https:/…

Just got back from there this week. They are located right on the beach.

DeWitt, Arkansas
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Poipu oceanfront condo without a road view

Look at https:/…. I just returned this week. Resort located on the beach.

Reply to: Poipu oceanfront condo without a road view
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted