We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai--North, South, What is the best side to stay on???

kentucky
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Kauai--North, South, What is the best side to stay on???

My husband & I are traveling for our first time to Hawaii May 09. We do not know what side of Kauai to rent on. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
41,641 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: Kauai--North, South, What is the best side to stay on???

In May the truth is both sides are fabulous. Tell us what you are interested in doing. Sitting by a hotel pool (Hyatt South Shore is the best), hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, exploring? The North Shore will give you that more lush tropical feel that people tend to want to experience when coming to Kauai. I call it the Jarrassic Park feel. Honestly either side in May is fabulous. also if you let us know if a condo or hotel is what you are seeking we can help narrow it down.

Happy planning.

kentucky
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Kauai--North, South, What is the best side to stay on???

Thanks--We are wanting to stay in a condo. We are going to stay for 2 weeks. We are actually going to do as much as we can. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

California
Level Contributor
41,641 posts
130 reviews
3. Re: Kauai--North, South, What is the best side to stay on???

Look into Kuhio Shore on the South side. Kuhioshores.net or summitpacific.com. Units I like there are 206, 207, 308, 406, 217, 415, 316 (gorgeous) and 407. Read reviews.

Also on summitpacific are condos at Hanalei Bay Resort, Pali Ke Kua, Sealodge and others. VRBO is a good source too. I know at HBR that May is really booked but I have know some units that aren't listed on a website yet.

I also like Puu Poa on the NS. I like 412. Gorgeous views. It's listed on VRBO.

California
Level Contributor
41,641 posts
130 reviews
4. Re: Kauai--North, South, What is the best side to stay on???

I have another suggestion. Stay 1 week south, one North.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
5. Re: Kauai--North, South, What is the best side to stay on???

A good option for first time visitors is to stay on the East side, with equal distance to the North shore and the South and West sides.

In the Kapaa or Lihue area, you are centrally located for sightseeing in either direction - and close to shopping for supplies for your longer stay.

During May, the weather is usually pretty good island wide, so being centrally located, after consulting weather.com by zipcode, you can plan to go north or south/west depending on if you want sun, clouds or just to avoid any rain.

Have fun planning your trip! You sure have lots of time to build up the excitement!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
117 reviews
6. Re: Kauai--North, South, What is the best side to stay on???

We really love the north shore, but if this your first trip, I think I would also suggest one week north and one week south. In addition to condos, you might also want to check out cottage/house rentals on vrbo.com.

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
1 review
7. Re: Kauai--North, South, What is the best side to stay on???

The problem with 2 different places is now you have 2 different deposits that you have to pay up front.A poss. of loosing money (depending on the owners or Co.)

I would stay centrally located your first time, Lihue ,Wailua,Kappa or somewhere in this vicinity.Then if you decide to go back, which everyone does by the way, you can decide if splitting your stay up would be worth it to you.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,466 posts
37 reviews
8. Re: Kauai--North, South, What is the best side to stay on???

We did one week South and one week North. Picked correctly in doing the Southern week first and got in a lot of sightseeing. Later on the North shore we got in a lot of beach and relaxing time.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Kauai--North, South, What is the best side to stay on???

Is there much to do on the North Shore (hiking)? I know it is more scenic but are there good trails or that mainly on the south side of the island?

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
1 review
10. Re: Kauai--North, South, What is the best side to stay on???

Most hiking on the North Shore...