We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best room location at the Hyatt?

Seattle
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Best room location at the Hyatt?

What's the best room location to ask for at the Grand Hyatt? I've heard of its vastness and the recent remodel.

We'll have 2 kids under 10 with us.

Thanks!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
18,002 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Best room location at the Hyatt?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

First of all I'll say this - I've never stayed at the Grand Hyatt - but I have worked as narrator for their torchlighting ceremony for about 10 years now - so I'm pretty familiar with the locations, etc.

It really isn't that "vast" a place - it is easy to negotiate around and the grounds are beautiful with a pathway along the ocean complete with swings to sit and watch the ocean - also I'd suggest that maybe with young children you will be using the pools quite a bit - so staying in the Shipwrecks Wing would be the closest area for you in relation to the pools.

Be sure to see the parrot show in the lobby garden as well as the morning feeding of the koi by Tidepools restaurant - both are a big attraction for keiki (children) - also there is a free keiki hula show on Tuesday and Saturday nights at Seaview Terrace from 7pm to 8pm - young students from a local hula halau (hula show) perform Hawaiian, Tahitian and Maori dances.

Hope any of this helps!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,933 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Best room location at the Hyatt?

We've stayed at the Hyatt quite often over the years. My kids love this hotel. Theyare currently 9 & 12 but we have stayed at the hotel since my oldest was an infant. I'll echo all of Janet's comments. We like the Shipwreck's wing precisely why Janet mentions it. It is closest to the hotel pool and that's where we spend most of our time while staying at the hotel. My kids also love the Parrot Talk show and keiki hula. My husband and I enjoy the Torch Lighting ceremony, even when we are staying in a condo.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
22,082 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Best room location at the Hyatt?

We've stayed at the Grand Hyatt since 1990 for week stays, and always have reserved the Poipu Wing. We've taken our own children and now our 6 year old grandchild, so know all about the locations with children.

The Poipu wing has the best views of the ocean and Shipwreck Rock from it's balconies. The Anara Spa, Fitness room and Camp Hyatt are just out the back door from this wing. The buffet breakfast at Illima Terrace is on this wing. The Laundry room with washer and dryer are at this wing, which is nice if you stay more than a couple nights.

One of the biggest plusses is the outdoor Luau held on Sunday and Tuesday nights is held on the lawn just under the balconies of Poipu Wing (unless it is raining hard). We always plan to order room service one night and they set up a table on our balcony, where we can watch the Luau for free. There are swings and hammocks just out the doors.

Here is an aerial photo of the Hyatt. We request a room where the "W" is in Poipu Wing. The elevator and path lead right to the lagoon/pools. Behind is the Anara Spa. My husband works out every day or swims, so it saves a ton of walking from the Shipwreck wing. The breakfast is about where the "g" is located. It's also closer to the main lobby, for when you get your car for excursions during your stay. Just phone as you leave your room and the valet has your car waiting for you.

http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/krhyatt.html

Good luck, and if you have any questions, just let me know.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
220 posts
140 reviews
4. Re: Best room location at the Hyatt?

We are here now. Ask to stay FAR from the Ilima Terrace restaurant. We lost 2 nights of sleep because of wedding parties taking place there. You can't hear the ocean without the boom-boom of the disco. It was horrible!

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
7,778 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Best room location at the Hyatt?

we stayed once and got an oceanfront room, it was on the ground floor and not worth the money because there were bushes in the way, I would try to get higher and do a lower category

Riverside...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Best room location at the Hyatt?

We were there the week of Valentines to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We stayed 2 nights in the Poipu wing on the 6th floor. The view was beautiful and it was very quite until Monday when the construction work began. We could hear a tile saw going when the balcony doors were open so we asked for a room change. We moved to the 5th floor of the Shipwreck wing. The view, in my opinion, was even prettier here. I loved looking at the pools, lagoon and ocean all at the same time. Funny that we moved because of noise and found ourselves directly over the pool slide, but it didn't bother us at all. It gets very quite in the evening after the little ones (and drinking adults) go on there way. When I go back I will ask for a room on the Shipwreck wing. The service at this resort is the best I've ever seen. They worked hard to make our stay enjoyable. I can't wait to go back again!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
22,082 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Best room location at the Hyatt?

"Funny that we moved because of noise and found ourselves directly over the pool slide, but it didn't bother us at all"

I can't imagine there would be tons of kids during the week in Feb. as there are in Aug. when we vacation at the Hyatt, to make any noise. You hit it right, but unfortunately during construction in the Poipu wing. You are the first to let us know about hearing the sounds of a tile saw. They closed the whole wing down when they were working on it last year.

Boogiemama, How was your Anniversary dinner, did you find a place for a picnic on Valentine's Day?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
18 posts
8. Re: Best room location at the Hyatt?

could you please tell me what floor you were on or the room number. Thank you for your forum it was very helpful! We are arriving in June and staying for about 10 days and I want to be in a great room!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
18 posts
9. Re: Best room location at the Hyatt?

could you please tell me what floor you were on or the room number. Thank you for your forum it was very helpful! We are arriving in June and staying for about 10 days and I want to be in a great room!

California
Level Contributor
41,888 posts
130 reviews
10. Re: Best room location at the Hyatt?

You are spending the entire 10 days at The Hyatt?

Lucky you, but I would consider staying on the North Shore for part of that time.

Get answers to your questions about Poipu
Recent Conversations