We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experience w/TBD Rentals (Travel by Design)? Alternatives?

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
577 posts
153 reviews
Experience w/TBD Rentals (Travel by Design)? Alternatives?

I've seen a number of posts raising questions about the Indiana-based company. TDB Rentals (aka Travel by Design). Anyone have any recent experience with them? They say they will provide the contact information for the local property manager in Kauai after we contract with them for a house we're interested in there. Is this the usual practice? Also, no local operating license or other registration, since they work through local companies. A typical practice?

And if folks recommend that we book with a local company instead, I'd very much welcome recommendations (in addition to Parrish, which doesn't seem to have quite what we're looking for right now).

Thanks for any help.

150 replies to this topic
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
18,335 posts
137 reviews
1. Re: Experience w/TBD Rentals (Travel by Design)? Alternatives?

They're not the managing company...only a 3rd party booking agent. Kaua'i Vacation Rentals is local, as is Bali Hai Reality. What are you looking for?

California
Level Contributor
41,641 posts
130 reviews
2. Re: Experience w/TBD Rentals (Travel by Design)? Alternatives?

If you read over two or three threads about other's problems with deposits not being returned etc, you would look into other alternatives.

Other local companies besides Parrish is Oceanfront, Kauai Pacific, Great Vacations and Suite Paradise. Of course there is always VRBO.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
577 posts
153 reviews
3. Re: Experience w/TBD Rentals (Travel by Design)? Alternatives?

Thanks for the quick reply! Four bedroom house in May for six to eight people, all adults. On or very near a beach. Also walking distance to restaurants. Air conditioning preferred, though from useful replies I've received here I understand it's not necessary.

Edited: 08 October 2014, 20:52
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
18,335 posts
137 reviews
4. Re: Experience w/TBD Rentals (Travel by Design)? Alternatives?

North or South Shore? Budget and for how long?

California
Level Contributor
41,641 posts
130 reviews
5. Re: Experience w/TBD Rentals (Travel by Design)? Alternatives?

Check Bali Hai Realty for rentals on the North Shore. It is doubtful any homes will have a/c unless they are brand new and in Princeville.

hawaiianbeachrentals.com/Hawaii/…rentals1.htm

http://balihai.com

http://www.napaliprop.com/vr1.html

http://www.hanaleiland.com

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
577 posts
153 reviews
6. Re: Experience w/TBD Rentals (Travel by Design)? Alternatives?

Thanks again for the replies. i should have mentioned that we'd like a place in Poipu. Five nights in early/mid-May. Up to about $5500 for that period.

Edited: 08 October 2014, 21:17
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,869 posts
7. Re: Experience w/TBD Rentals (Travel by Design)? Alternatives?

Aloha,

Read this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k57374…

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,866 posts
59 reviews
8. Re: Experience w/TBD Rentals (Travel by Design)? Alternatives?

The two rental agencies that have a lot of homes in Poipu are the Parrish Collection www.ParrishKauai.com and Garden Island Rentals www.kauairentals.com. Also, check Kauai Island Vacation Rentals and vrbo.com. I'm familiar with most of the rental homes in Poipu so if you find something, I should be able to answer any questions.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Experience w/TBD Rentals (Travel by Design)? Alternatives?

Is there a specific house on the TBD site you're interested in? It may also be available through other agencies and VRBO - look for a property name (like "rainbow hale" or whatever) or the street address, and then paste that into google. You'll likely get other management or rental agency listings.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,866 posts
59 reviews
10. Re: Experience w/TBD Rentals (Travel by Design)? Alternatives?

You could also tell us what you are looking for specificaly (budget, size, amentities, etc.).

Reply to: Experience w/TBD Rentals (Travel by Design)? Alternatives?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted