We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui or Kauai for family with kids???

Which Kahului hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
990 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Maui or Kauai for family with kids???

We are planing out our itinerary for next July 2012 and would like some feedback for family with kids (aged 9 & 11)...

We will be landing in Oahu on July 3 and going back to Orlando on July 22 from Oahu.

We are planning to see 3 islands as follows either:

A- Oahu - Big Island and Kauai

or

B - Oahu - Big Island and Maui

We need some feedback as to which is better for our timeframe in the summer between Maui and Kauai.

Also, our plans would be as follows:

Landing in Oahu (HNL) on July 3rd and same day in the afternoon catch an inter-island flight to Big Island (Kona).

From July 3 - 9 : Big Island

then from July 9-July 16 (either Maui or Kauai - please advise which will be better)

then from July 16-22 back to Oahu and catch flight on July 22 to the mainland.

Please help with the following:

1) Are the number of days ok on each island? If not, please redistribute within the timeframe we have from July 3 - July 22.

2) Help us decide between either Maui or Kauai for family with kids for the most kids-friendly activities , attrations and sightseeings.

3) For our length of stay on each island, we'd rather have either a condo, a villa, or a house, since these come with washer and dryer. Please help on which part(s) of each island you'd recommend good accomodations for family with kids. Price range would be between $125/night - $325/night, even if we have to go out of the mainstream, but in a safe environment.

We prefer lush green areas in a forest-like setting not too , too far from the main streams.

Thanks and looking to all your feedback and suggestions.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,474 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui or Kauai for family with kids???

Aloha,

I answered your other post about part of these questions. Maui will prob be better for your kids, since you will have BI in the mix already for more "down time" type days.

I thought you were arriving on July 4th, not July 3rd???

Do Oahu first--get the "big city" and all out of the way. Do Pearl Harbor, the Bishop Museum, Waikiki, the north shore, etc.

When you stay staying in "lush green areas", you're not going to find those close to beaches unless you are in a resort area......irrigation is a wonderful invention, LOL.

On Maui, look at the condos down in Kihei, they are usually less expensive than the West side. Your budget is low for Maui at 125.........like not realistic! Anything below about 250.00/nt in July on Maui that would be large enough for all of you may well be a pit.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui or Kauai for family with kids???

we have a budget up to $325/night for accomodations.

the thing is we already got round trips with Delta from Orlando to HNL and back...

So, I guess we'll do Oahu first and then come back there to catch our flight back to Orlando the night before.

California
Level Contributor
5,754 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui or Kauai for family with kids???

Although we love both islands, having 3 kids that go to Hawaii every year I would say we have always found Maui to offer more for families to do.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui or Kauai for family with kids???

in this case, with Maui (instead of Kauai) we'd probably arrive in HNL and get the next flight to Maui, then BI, then back to HNL (Oahu) where we'd be spending the remainder of our vacation before catching our flight back to the mainland on July 22.

So, what are the thouhgts on this itinerary:

1) Maui: July 3 - July 10?

2) BI: July 10 - July 16?

3) Oahu : July 16 - 22?

Is this ok or do we need to play around some more with the number of days on each island and/or switch the order of visits to each island?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui or Kauai for family with kids???

This is my 2 cents...I would extend your visit on the BI and reduce your time on Oahu. My kids were fascinated by the BI, didn't even fight in the car and that alone is a testament! I love Oahu and advise the Bishop Museum and Pearl Harbor highly for kids that age but, at least in Waikiki, I think they will enjoy more time on BI and Maui. It's a different "vibe" that is very hard to explain.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,643 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui or Kauai for family with kids???

I like what Mamma has to say, Oahu is sooooo crowded, so hard to do anything. Maui would also be my choice, good luck and have fun. Hubie

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui or Kauai for family with kids???

Thanks for suggestions.

I guess in this case, we will do:

Maui: July 3 - July 10 (catch next flight to Maui same day we arrive in HNL in the afternoon)

then, BI : July 10 - July 17

and finally back to Oahu from July 17 - July 22 to catch flight back to mainland on 7/22.

Any family-oriented condos/villas/resorts suggestions on Maui and BI to be centrally located to most activities/attractions?

We have about up to $300-$325/night for accomodation budgets.

Thanks again.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,403 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui or Kauai for family with kids???

I simply can't agree on Maui over Kauai. My kids that age loved it when we would rent a house in the Hanalei/Haena area of Kauai. There is tons to do for that age group, they're old enough for more adventure, like hiking around Waimea Canyon, ziplining, zodiacs on the Na Pali Coast, and it's a fantastic time of year on Kauai. Maui will be very crowded then and I find it way overbuilt and touristy. For much smaller children, Maui might be better, but in that age range, I'd pick Kauai every time.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui or Kauai for family with kids???

now, to get us confused even more between Kauai and Maui...what are the pros and cons for each (Maui and Kauai)?

We will review and see if the cons of one supersede the pros of the other...with kids aged 9 & 11.

Looking to your replies!

Thanks.

Ontario
Level Contributor
404 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui or Kauai for family with kids???

Maui would be my choice because there are many more accessible/swimmable beaches and upcountry and Haleakala are, IMO, experiences not to be missed.

Lots of shopping on Maui and just about any activity you would care to do. including 1 or 2 good luaus.

Maui is definitely a busier island than Kauai but you can find seclusion when you want it and it is not that far from the built up areas. You can do hiking and ziplining on Maui too (though you would be giving up the opportunity to explore the Na Pali coast).

All this being said, try not to over think it too much. I think you could have a lot of fun on either island. Take a look at the accommodations that are available on the island that you are leaning towards to see if anything looks really enticing. If you are having a hard time finding something good then take a peek at the other island and see if anything piques your interest there. I know for us the type of accommodations are very important especially if we are going for a more than a few days.

Just a little note on the BI - it really is quite big and there is no way to be central to everything. It is a bit of a pain but you might want to split your stay between the Kona (beach) side and the Hilo (volcano) side. If you don't want to do this then, if it were me, I would probably stay on the Hilo side just because you will have lots of beach time on the other islands. That is not to say that you can't go to the beach on the Hilo side but it is just not that good for beaches there.

Also, a little comment on Oahu (well Waikiki really). The Waikiki area is crazy touristy - lots of chain-store shopping and chain restaurants. Personally, I can barely handle it for more than a day or two. However, there are lots of really nice and interesting parts of Oahu. Even Honolulu (which is often used interchangeably with Waikiki but is not the same thing) can be interesting to explore. So, unless you are looking to stay right in the action, my recommendation is to stay outside of the city (love the Kailua/ Lanikai area) and rent a place there. Just be careful, there are bylaws that limit vacation rentals and some that are out there are illegal - best to go through a real estate agency. It is not difficult to get to the touristy areas from Kailua using the beautiful Pali Highway.

Get answers to your questions about Kahului