We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tiger shark spotted at Kam III

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver island
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Topic
tiger shark spotted at Kam III

Did i hear right that a 11 foot tiger shark was spotted at Kam III today and they closed down all the Kam beaches???

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tiger shark spotted at Kam III

looks like you heard right!

http://www.kitv.com/news/30300720/detail.html

that's big shark!

Roberts, Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tiger shark spotted at Kam III

So how long do these shark closings last? I will be there a week from Sunday staying in Kihei and was planing to do some diving and snorkeling. I don't want to be shark bait but I really wanted to go in the water!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,058 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tiger shark spotted at Kam III

A few years ago I related my story to a shark expert about running into a tiger shark while I was swimming out of La Perouse Bay. He said that the good news was that I saw it because if it intended to attack me I would never have seen it. Next time I run into one, I don;t think that his words will be much comfort. So stay out of the surf, wear bright colors, and don't hang around dead carcasses in the water. And instead of you the shark will go investigate that guy over there who's dressed like a monk seal.

Edited: 26 January 2012, 11:01
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tiger shark spotted at Kam III

I read about this in the local paper this morning. Most beach closures due to shark sightings don't last more than a day or two. The powers that be will be keeping a close eye on the situation. Just a small portion of all south Maui beaches were closed. You will still have plenty of places to snorkel and dive.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tiger shark spotted at Kam III

You know the old saying, enter the ocean, enter the food chain.

I agree with mzfuzz, they usually don't last long. Be grateful they look for them and close the beach when one is spotted.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
271 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: tiger shark spotted at Kam III

Was there in December and there was a shark citing. Not sure how big or what kind only that the signs were posted on Kam II Kam I and we were told not to go into the water. The warning lasted about 4 hours.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,802 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tiger shark spotted at Kam III

We always stay on Kam II. We will be there in three weeks. It's happened before when we were there. But I hope he leaves before we get there this trip!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tiger shark spotted at Kam III

"And instead of you the shark will go investigate that guy over there who's dressed like a monk seal."

...or a turtle.

I head that was why surfers are attacked more frequently (please note, more frequent is still a VERY small number, in this case). From a shark, looking up, a surfer paddling on a board looks similar to a turtle.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,802 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tiger shark spotted at Kam III

Yes but I would prefer he goes home to his shark family elsewhere. Im not all that concerned. I love the ocean and plan to be in it as much as possible. :)

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tiger shark spotted at Kam III

I never saw a spotted Tiger before, hopefuly he stays elusive. ゆ