We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba near Aston Maui Hill

Which Kihei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba near Aston Maui Hill

We will be staying at Aston Maui Hill for a couple of weeks in March. We would like to spend 2-3 days scuba diving. We are a 50 year old couple that are beginners --- we have about 20 dives. Any suggestions on dive companies or are they all about the same? We need to rent equipment too.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba near Aston Maui Hill

for shore entry do it yourself Ulua Baech is a popular spot for ease of transporting gear. able to drive to the entrance on a round about and drop off your gear. Usually one of you would wait with the gear and the other parks the car. some instructors and small tour groups use this spot daily. hugging the right side of the beach following the reef you will be able to see a variety of fish and corals. an easy low level dive, I have seen manta ray, turtles, lobsters, frog fish and schools of large jacks holding 50 plus. the manta ray will be the rarest to find.

as touristy as it is, I would do a Molokini tour. much different scuba is to snorkeling here. many dive shops, check out the boats prices and times when you get here. all have rentals ゅゆゅゆ゜゚

Edited: 17 February 2012, 15:40
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba near Aston Maui Hill

You are in luck. One of Maui's best dive shops just happens to be in Kihei. Maui Dreams is the name and I highly recommend them.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba near Aston Maui Hill

Are you planning to shore dive, boat dive, or both?

If you’re boat diving I would definitely get out to Molokini, but there’s other good sites too. Another nice boat trip is to Lanai. The cathedrals are not really enclosed like the swim through in the Caymans. They make quite beautiful dives. As for who to choose, there are lots out there that come recommended on Scuba Board (good source of Maui diving info). The prices tend to be fairly competitive, so I’d pick based on location and other factors like size of boat and how many divers they take out (ask them what their max. is). You won’t want to be on a “cattle boat” that takes out a whole herd of divers. You also will want to head out as early as possible for good weather and beating the crowds.

If you’re shore diving, good site recommendation above. The biggest thing with shore diving in Maui is watching the conditions. The winter swells can make entry/exit difficult, as can high winds causing high surf. Usually the best bet is the south end. The Makena area also has good diving. If you don’t want to go on your own you can get a guide for shore diving. Another easy dive is old airport beach (Kahekili Beach Park) if you want to go up that way. It also has handy parking, facilities and easy entry off the beach for a simple shallow dive. If you’re interested in shore diving let me know and I can give you more info. I’m not a Maui shore diving expert by any means, but after a trip of difficulty getting in shore dives due to weather, I’ve done a lot of research from a book, online sites & forums and our own experiences and made a pretty good list (spreadsheet).

4. Re: Scuba near Aston Maui Hill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2013, 05:28
Get answers to your questions about Kihei
Recent Conversations