We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Momma's Fish House

Ocean Pines...
Level Contributor
195 posts
77 reviews
Momma's Fish House

Is Momma's worth the ride back to Paia from Lahaina? We will be arriving on a Saturday and since we didn't have any other plans that day other than to check in, I thought we would go there for dinner. I had thought of driving around the area and then going to dinner ( yes we have reservations) but then it was suggested not to do that with a car full of luggage. My husband doesn't mind driving.Thoughts?

13 replies to this topic
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
300 reviews
1. Re: Momma's Fish House

Mama's is fantastic, but so is Merriman's and it is closer to you than Mama's. Few places better than seeing the sunset while on the patio bar at Merriman's and then going inside for dinner.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
15,411 posts
50 reviews
2. Re: Momma's Fish House

I would not drive back on the same day as arrival... another day yes. Merriman’s is an excellent alternative. I would not leave car full of luggage a lot of places... but should be fine in their parking lot.

Ocean Pines...
Level Contributor
195 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: Momma's Fish House

Yes I figured Momma's would be fine to leave the luggage, I meant instead of driving back, stay in the Paia area until it was time for our dinner. That was were I didn't think it was a good idea to leave a car full of luggage,unless you think it would be safe. We arrive at 1pm, need to pick up the car rental and reservation for dinner are at 6pm. So it would be better you think to go another day? I thought the same at first, but on our free days,which are only two, I didn't want to rush back to make a dinner reservation.Maybe I could make it for an earlier time.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,917 posts
45 reviews
4. Re: Momma's Fish House

Agree about not going back on one of your two free days ... but how long are you on Maui for and do you have anything else planned that takes you close to near Mama's? (thinking maybe you could combine Haleakala/upcountry and Mama's.)

I was going to suggest lunch on arrival day - but it's hard to predict how long it will take to get the rental car (unless you have a booking with one of the agencies that offers 'skip the counter' service.) Waiting for dinner and then doing a late check in at accommodations might make for a long day. Where are you arriving from?

Maybe lunch or dinner on your last day - what time do you fly out at?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
15,411 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: Momma's Fish House

Definitely don’t leave your car full of luggage in a Paia to walk around. I think Mama’s is worth it if it fits in schedule... but not a must do if it doesn’t fit in.

Ocean Pines...
Level Contributor
195 posts
77 reviews
6. Re: Momma's Fish House

I agree, wouldn't it make more sense to go say, the same day we see the sunrise.? We would most likely come back from our 2am pick up time and take a nap and not do a whole lot else that day. We get back from our sunrise tour around 11 am. We could go up to Paia anytime before our reservation time and then have a nice dinner. We leave at 9am on departure day and are headed for the Big Island. We will have arrived from Kauai the week before.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,114 posts
109 reviews
7. Re: Momma's Fish House

Are you taking a sunrise tour because you don't want to drive at that hour? Or were you not able to get your own sunrise reservation? Just wondering, if you could get the reservation, would you not just take your own rental car up there? So much more to see Upcountry anyway. Winery, goat farm, botanical garden, Ulupalakua Ranch, and so much more.

How many days total do you have on Maui?

Ocean Pines...
Level Contributor
195 posts
77 reviews
8. Re: Momma's Fish House

This is our itinerary so far.

Arrive on Saturday check in to Lahania Shores

Sunday free day was thinking Kalpalua and the North end

Monday The Road to Hana Tour

Tuesday Snorkel to the Crater

Wednesday Free day, Was thinking of checking out the South Beaches.

Thursday Sunrise Tour ,maybe Momma's for dinner

Friday I left open as it is our last day.

Saturday we depart for Hilo 9am

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
28,114 posts
109 reviews
9. Re: Momma's Fish House

If you are going to take Wednesday to check out south Maui, I'd put in Mama's Fish House then. It's not as far a drive as it is from Lahaina. Four lane highway most of the way.

Or, after your snorkel tour, you could go for lunch to Mama's on the Tuesday. I like lunch, as you can enjoy the grounds then, and get some nice pictures. And combine it with a stop in Paia to check out the shops. Makawao is just up Baldwin Avenue, and it can be visited then as well.

Your doing a tour for Hana too? I am assuming you just don't like driving then?

Ocean Pines...
Level Contributor
195 posts
77 reviews
10. Re: Momma's Fish House

Well, I figured if we happen to do some snorkeling, there is no way I am going out to eat at a nice place until after I return to our condo and change. I look like a drowned rat after I am in the water. I wish I didn't. I do like to drive, but have a deadly fear of heights. I thought my husband could enjoy Hana more if he wasn't driving. Especially if I started to freak out. Friends of ours said it was a great idea. We are doing it early in the trip in case we do want to go back and see a few things ourselves.

Reply to: Momma's Fish House
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Paia
Recent Conversations