We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paia is My Kinda Maui

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
275 reviews
Save Topic
Paia is My Kinda Maui

We have stayed in Wailea at the Four Season. Staying at a Four Seasons usually is great no matter where in the world you visit. We have also stayed at high-end places in west Maui. My OPINION (everybody has one) is that Paia is my style for Maui. We are UpCountry folks, Paia, Haiku, Makawao. There are warnings about not parking your car with valuables inside -- Good Advice. However, the notion that Paia is somehow dangerous and filled with "Drugged-Out Homeless Hippies" I find to be very laughable, unless you are afraid of stoned trust-fund wanna-be Rastfarians wearing $300 Birkenstocks, thousands of dollars worth of tattoos and piercings and expensive dreadlocks twisted into a man-bun = Scary, Scary :-). If you have ever visited a real city on the mainland, this characterization is very comical indeed. I would not want to hang around late at night, but not out of fear for personal safety. Some of the best attractions and best restaurants (Again, in my opinion) are in this area. Great shopping too.

We have come back to UpCountry time and time again and prefer the gritty nature of PaIa, Haiku and Makawao.

Edited: 25 April 2018, 21:05
Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Paia Inn
Paia Inn
793 Reviews
Maui, HI
Jammin' On Maui
Gift & Speciality Shops
Alala Wild Curiosities
Gift & Speciality Shops
Lost On Maui
Gift & Speciality Shops
26 replies to this topic
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,379 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paia is My Kinda Maui

Eddie, I know you love the "gritty" nature of Paia-but claiming it's perfectly safe just isn't true. People can read the crime rates and SM posts for themselves................and they should.

I agree that *in general* Haiku and Makawao are much safer than Paia.

Mentioned in this post
Paia Inn
Paia Inn
793 Reviews
Maui, HI
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paia is My Kinda Maui

We spend most of our time in Haiku and we are adult travelers. Do not think I would stay in Paia, but love it during the day for food, shopping and Ho'Okaipa Beach and the turtles. No place on Earth is "Perfectly Safe" even staying at home where most people get injured. Again, the scary Hippie image I find comical. Whatever floats YOUR boat.

Mentioned in this post
Paia Inn
Paia Inn
793 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,379 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paia is My Kinda Maui

The hippies don't bother me-it's the meth heads :-). During the day, I don't think Paia is any better or worse than many areas of Maui, as long as one uses some (un)common sense.

Edited: 25 April 2018, 21:25
Mentioned in this post
Paia Inn
Paia Inn
793 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,211 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paia is My Kinda Maui

I'm with you Eddie, love Paia!!

Mentioned in this post
Paia Inn
Paia Inn
793 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paia is My Kinda Maui

I don't think I have read on this forum not to go to Paia to shop and eat during the day?? That's nice that you like staying in Haiku. People who live here just refer to it as a hippie town. Not that that is a bad thing. Glad you also like the Four Season's. I really like Motel 6.

Mentioned in this post
Paia Inn
Paia Inn
793 Reviews
Maui, HI
Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paia is My Kinda Maui

Me too. Loved the entire Paia, Makawao and Haiku area. A real slice of heaven. So fresh and so refreshing. I wandered about solo and felt entirely comfortable but for most of the time, I was wandering through the countryside during the day. Not sure how comfortable I would feel on my own during the evenings. I spent all three nights at the cottage, secluded in my peaceful abode. I loved it so much, that I’m considering a longer length of time there during my next visit. It’s a place where you can go to disconnect and feel the call of nature.

Mentioned in this post
Paia Inn
Paia Inn
793 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,379 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paia is My Kinda Maui

Lol, Snorkel Lady -- I almost spit beer on my phone!

Yes, I also don't recall anyone saying to not visit Paia during the day.

Mama's is an oasis outside of Paia.

Mentioned in this post
Paia Inn
Paia Inn
793 Reviews
Maui, HI
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paia is My Kinda Maui

I too have stayed in Paia with the family and our 3 kids loved it. We would stroll around downtown at night and go for ice cream and I never encountered any problems. Perhaps we got lucky but overall it seemed to be rather safe. Our next visit in July we will be staying in Hana and Haiku so that too will be exciting!

Mentioned in this post
Paia Inn
Paia Inn
793 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paia is My Kinda Maui

I associate Paia and Makawao with tourists. To me it is just another town in AirSpace.

Edited: 26 April 2018, 03:31
Mentioned in this post
Paia Inn
Paia Inn
793 Reviews
Maui, HI
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paia is My Kinda Maui

communitycrimemap.com/…

Here is a nice interactive crime map.

Relative to the rest of Maui Paia looks pretty tame

4 months ago while staying at a very nice resort at Wailea, my beach bag was stolen right from under my nose at the pool. Left it on the lounge chair for a dip in the pool not 20 ft away, gone less than 10 minutes

...poof it was gone stunning.

iPhone, iPad, Drivers license gone

Hotel security and MPD were terrific.

We used “ find my phone app” and it pinged near Maalea.

MPD sent an officer out and had me call, I said if you hear Hapa singing in the night that’s me, but no luck

The hotel paid for everything not covered by insurance. They were terrific. MPD was great came right away

The officer told me that a bunch of hotels in Wailea had just been hit and 7 cars broken into.

In fact she told me her own car had been broken to recently.

Only crime I have experienced in decades of visiting Maui, you just never know when and where.

All I had was my Costco ID and a police report but I got on the flight no problem

Think Precheck helped

Edited: 26 April 2018, 11:50
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Paia Inn
Paia Inn
793 Reviews
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea