We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haiku

texas
12 posts
Save Topic
Haiku

We are going to Haiku in June and staying in a villa that we rented through VBRO. It appears to be very nice with great views and a pool. Privacy is supposed to be guaranteed. My question is how far is Haiku from good beaches, sightseeing and other tourist destinations? Does anyone know of a store close by for provisions? This will be our first trip to Maui and actually prefer a little seclusion. Just curious if we have booked ourselves into Timbuktu!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
51,269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haiku

Haiku is a wonderful area of Maui. It rains a lot there!! You will be within a few minutes of Paia and a half hour/45 minutes from the wonderful beaches of south Maui. Hookipa Beach Park is very close, but known more for World Famous Windsurfing compitition than anything else!! Wonderful place to watch waves and whales in the winter time. I'm not familiar with any retail shops in Haiku, (perhaps someone else is)? but you can head into Paia for any of your needs.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Paia Inn
Paia Inn
793 Reviews
Maui, HI
Ho'okipa Beach Park
Ho'okipa Beach Park
1,157 Reviews
Maui, HI
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Haiku

There is a small grocery store in the Haiku Cannery Mall right on Haiku Road ... I think it's called "Haiku Grocery". We stopped there for snacks last March. Also, there is a GREAT handmade soap & lotion store in that little mall. It is called Kopa Haiku ( www.kopahaiku.net ) and they have the most wonderful smelling bath products ... great for bringing back home and treating yourself. We stopped and chatted with the owner Rhonda ... very nice lady.

texas
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Haiku

Thank you both for your responses. This is only the second trip where I have been our travel agent and therefore to know the area is going to be nice is a relief! Also that it is close to the south beaches is a great plus.

michigan
Level Contributor
215 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haiku

We stay in Haiku every summer- it is beautiful and green. And yes... it rains. But generally in the mornings and by 9 or 10 the rains have cleared out.

The grocery in Haiku is ok for grabbing something quick you need- but I would probably 'provision' elsewhere- they are pricy and pretty limited selection. Try the Safeway in Kahului to stock up!

A nice thing about Haiku is that you are close to Paia and Makawao- both have some decent places to eat and you are out of the tourist-belt as well.

Mentioned in this post
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Paia Inn
Paia Inn
793 Reviews
Maui, HI
5. Re: Haiku

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about Paia
Recent Conversations