We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bamboo Forest Hike Question

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Bamboo Forest Hike Question

Hello Maui Experts!

We're traveling to Maui on Dec 3rd and we're hoping to do some hiking in a Bamboo Forest. I've heard that there is a fairly easy hike just past Paia that wouldn't require us driving too far down the road to Hana. Can anyone tell me how to find it? So far I haven't been able to find any details when I Googled it. We would like to do this unguided as we are trying to save money.

Or could someone suggest another hike that wouldn't be too difficult ( I broke my ankle last winter and it's still not stable enough for difficult hikes)? We do plan to check out the Iao Valley too.

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Bamboo Forest
Bamboo Forest
175 Reviews
Maui, HI
Iao Valley
Iao Valley
91 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Paia Inn
Paia Inn
781 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bamboo Forest Hike Question

The Twin Falls stop has some bamboo if I recall correctly (as does Waikamoi Ridge Trail), but if you want the true Bamboo experience, you'd want to drive beyond Hana to the `Ohe`o Gulch and hike the Pipiwai Trail. It's four miles round trip, and is a relatively easy hike. Great bamboo hike along the later part of the trail - one of the best 'bamboo hikes' in Hawai`i honestly.

Mentioned in this post
Pipiwai Trail
Pipiwai Trail
1,042 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,750 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bamboo Forest Hike Question

We love the Pipiwai Trail and have hiked this 5 or 6 times.. It might be an easy hike for someone in shape. but during the 14 years that we have hiked this, it is getting harder on the knees. If your ankle is still not up to par I'd pass or either take it real slow and besure and have some hiking poles. You can pick up the extenable kind at Walmart for $15 that will fit in your bag.. To many places with roots, uneven incline over rock uneven step heights (hope that makes sense). My DH slipped and fell twice last year , when a rain shower turned the trail into a silppery slope. Next time he'll be using his hike poles. Thank goodness his"new Hip" stayed in place.

Isn't there some bamboo at the Garden of Eden. That would be a good place for a healing ankle to walk around. It's at the beginning of the Road to Hana about 10 or 11 mile marker..

Mentioned in this post
Pipiwai Trail
Pipiwai Trail
1,042 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bamboo Forest Hike Question

Past Paia, as the mile markers reset, there is a spot around the 6 mile marker. You'll likely see cars parked along side the road. Off the southbound (Hana-bound) lane, the hike begins through a small gap in the bamboo. On the other side of the road is a gated ranch.

Hike was moderate to easy, until you reach a 15' vertical wall....which was easy, but sketchy if you're not a competent scrambler, or with a party of fewer than 4 people.

Driving all the way to Hana would be the ideal, but if you pull over at any bridge on the way to Hana, early on in the drive, you'll find bamboo and some short trails.

Hope this helps a bit.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Paia Inn
Paia Inn
781 Reviews
Maui, HI
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bamboo Forest Hike Question

Thank you all for your replies!

While I'd love to drive out to Hana and do those trails too, I'm not sure I can handle another drive there. My husband and I nearly killed each other last time and we were newlyweds. Nine years later I think I'd be even less nice :) He drives like a maniac and I'm wimpy...

The mile marker 6 and 10 or 11 sound exactly like what I'd heard of before. I appreciate your detailed description, it will make finding things so much easier. Can't wait!

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
691 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bamboo Forest Hike Question

Just this past September, after we hiked the trail just passed mile marker 6, we decided to continue toward Hana, and the Garden of Eden (at mile marker 10.5) was our final stopping point before we turned around. (Note: we had driven to Hana and all the way around on our first trip in 2004, but didn't feel the need to continue after the Garden of Eden because our main objective this time was to see a lot of bamboo.)

Anyway, my main point is, although the Garden is at mile marker 10.5, it still felt kind of long, and it felt REALLY long driving back. We ended up eating at Mamma's Fish House because we were hungry and kinda tired from hiking and driving, and couldn't wait to get back to Lahaina to eat.

I'll share pics of both the bamboo forest and the Garden of Eden, just in case :)

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Nebraska
Level Contributor
299 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bamboo Forest Hike Question

:) :)

There are two pretty easy hikes enroute to Hana. One departs from rest station about half way there. The other is not well marked at all. There is parking for about two cars at most. There is a big green cattle gate that you can walk arouind. Sorry but have forgotten exact names for either of these short hikes.

A good investment is in Craig's Hana Drive CD. While you can find it at a lot of stores like ABC, there is a little "shack" at the Shell gas station just as you turn on the Hana / Haleakala highway. It was $20 on our last visit and included a cd of some very pretty Hawaiian music.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bamboo Forest Hike Question

Yep, it feels like a long distance because you go so slow. Bring snacks, and bug repellant wherever you go. My fiancee was bitten all over her body by what appeared to be a normal mosquito-like insect, but she came down with flu like symptoms due to the sheer volume of bites.

Getting to Keanae is as far as we went in total the one day, but when we did the hike at mile marker 6, we did the hike to the very end, hit Paia for lunch and still had time to snorkel in Wailea in the afternoon. We spent a lot of time swimming and playing around on the hike and it's by no means a full day deal.

Going to Hana, however....

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Paia Inn
Paia Inn
781 Reviews
Maui, HI
8. Re: Bamboo Forest Hike Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2010, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Paia
Recent Conversations