We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Drive

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Drive

Wife and I will be on the island again in late April. We would like to drive round trip from Paia down to Hana and keep going around coming out by the Winery and back to Paia. Last time we tried the road was closed just past Hana. Is it open agin and what type of drive and time table am I looking at. Wife was NOT too happy when I drove around the top end of West Maui to the airport once. he did not enjoy the narrow road and severe drop with no guard rails.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Drive

The road opened up back in '08. To do it is dependent on the weather. If it's raining or has been raining you best avoid the road. It too has a stretch of narrow winding road, IMO, not as bad as going over the top of the West side.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Drive

The section of road you are talking about isn't as bad as the west Maui drive. It has very different topography. The only problem is that your rental car company may forbid you taking their cars out there. It is one of the most isolated places on the island. Make sure you read your contract very carefully and possibly ask whether this is allowed or not. When I have done this drive I always allow at least a good 12 hrs for the whole trip starting and ending in Kihei. Do check with the rangers at Oheo Gulch about rain on the southern edge. They will know whether you can travel safely or not,.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Drive

And look at some of the youtube videos of this drive. My only concern would be that a big boulder smushes your car. It is a fair amount of bumpy road as well.

4. Re: Maui Drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2010, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Paia