We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 glorious weeks in Paia in June some questions??

Which Paia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Qld
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
4 glorious weeks in Paia in June some questions??

Family is getting excited to come from Aust for another 4 weeks, this time we are staying in Paia area. Wondered if I could just ask a few questions of those of you who are far more experienced in preparation. Last time I discovered the whole food store at Paia very late in our trip I do hope it is still there?? Does Costco has any organic supplies? We are travelling with 6-7 of us so will be cooking mostly at the house rather than eating out so am going to be looking for good meat and fresh fish and vegetable, if possible I prefer to shop organically. Would appreciate any comments anyone may have. We snorkelled Kam 2 last time often as were staying there, is there any spots around the Paia area? The boys will be windsurfing so am looking at activities to ocupy the 11 yr and myself. We are hiring our own car, although we did hana last time we will do the volcano area this trip, not sure we will do it at sunrise but. Also may buy a bike, but remembered there is some licence issue? could someone explain it again to me please?

Many thanks for your help, I have been pouring over your posts for months now and have picked up all sorts of tips !!!

Round Rock, Texas
Level Contributor
140 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 glorious weeks in Paia in June some questions??

There's a Whole Foods in Kahului now, so that may be another source for organic foods. Most Costco locations I've been to have sold at least some organic foods as well, though the selection sometimes varies.

Enjoy your trip!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
565 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 glorious weeks in Paia in June some questions??

The natural foods store in Paia (Mana, maybe?) was very much alive and well in March. We bought several great things there before leaving Paia for two nights in Hana. Enjoy!

Princeville, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,646 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 glorious weeks in Paia in June some questions??

You might find some snorkeling on this side, I was getting ready to explore this area for that very reason when sadly, we had to leave Maui. Generally speaking the surf is too surgey on this side of the island for good visibility. As you know it's great for wind surfing which makes it not very good for snorkeling.

Qld
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 glorious weeks in Paia in June some questions??

Thanks for that, I did suspect this may be the case. Have taken a list of some of the areas that people have suggested and we will just take a drive early mornings

Paia, Hawaii
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 glorious weeks in Paia in June some questions??

The health food store is called Mana Foods & they are by far the best health food store in the State. Their produce section is amazing! The surf on the Paia side during the summer can be flat as a lake unlike the south side twhich will have bigger surf during the summer. Great snorkeling at Hookipa. Turtles every where. Snorkeling also at Mama's Fish House Beach. It is only during the winter time that our side of the island has huge surf. Costco has the following organic items that I buy: frozen berries for smoothies, butter, eggs, yogurt, garden burgers, Fish, rice milk, almond milk, smoked salmon, libations best prices hands down. If you like cheese Costco has a good selection & price. Amazing "real farmer's" market every Sat. Morning @ the Long's Drugs parking lot in Pukalani. Get their early (before 9:00 a.m.) as everything goes quick. You can get fresh fish caught that morning. Organic raw Maui honey coconut water, etc. so many yummy organic locally grow fruits & veggies at

amazing prices! Paia is a very health conscious town. Yoga shalas every where healthy restaurants. We even have an organic pizzaria called Flat Bread, they offer vegan pizza & gluten free too or normal non-nitrate organic pepperoni. The "Mopsy" is always good. Have fun on the best side of the Island with no tall buildings or chain stores!!!

Qld
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 glorious weeks in Paia in June some questions??

Thanks so much Nyla808, that is just the sort of info I was hoping to find !! We visited Mana store and the flat bread pizza shop last time and loved it, which is why we are staying on that side of the island this time. Glad to see that both shops are still going strong.

Will certainly be going snorkeling as I love swimming with the turtles there, was not sure I could do it on that side.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 glorious weeks in Paia in June some questions??

I am not a strong snorkeler, prefer to enter the water from a boat. We were at Hookipa last week and it was pretty windy and rough, we did not see any snorklers and I would not have considered snorkeling there.

There are so many beaches in Kihei that are good for snorkeling and it is not to far a drive from Paia.

Qld
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 glorious weeks in Paia in June some questions??

Thanks maryannmgoint will judge on the day, hubby is going for the wind at Hookipa, so he will be happy ! maybe it is in the morning that it is calm the windy in the afternoon.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 glorious weeks in Paia in June some questions??

The other good food store is Cash and Carry in Kahului right by Kanaha Beach Park. Wholesale veggies, and tons of local seasonings.

Qld
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 glorious weeks in Paia in June some questions??

Do they have any organic produce there by chance? Great to know where to go. On our last visit, I did not keep a track of the Lb /Kg conversion and ended up paying $13 Aus for a pineapple, so this trip I will be far more aware !! Lucky it was a nice pineapple !

Get answers to your questions about Paia