We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Samoa vs. Samoa

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
American Samoa vs. Samoa

Hello travel community! We're thinking about going to Samoa this summer. We'd like to do a lot of snorkeling and would also like to hike in the jungle. Would you recommend American Samoa or Samoa? Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Samoa
Samoa
South Pacific
5 replies to this topic
SOUTH DAKOTA
Level Contributor
259 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Samoa vs. Samoa

We liked Samoa but Loved American Samoa. American Samoa is much less commercial and much more natural. Given that harder to get information and plan. Contact Vaoto lodge on Ofu or Sadies in Pago. Snorkeling Ofu was as good as it gets! Western Samoa has good snorkeling but nothing like American Samoa. Best snorkeling in Western Samoa was Falealupo. Samoa has an active TA page but doesn't really offer any info on American Samoa. They were hit by a cyclone recently too.

Mentioned in this post
Samoa
Samoa
South Pacific
Vaoto Lodge
Vaoto Lodge
24 Reviews
Ofu, American Samoa
Sadie's by the Sea
Sadie's by the Sea
187 Reviews
Tutuila, American Samoa
San Diego...
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: American Samoa vs. Samoa

Just curious if you know about Samoa vs American Samoa, I haven’t been to either but am planning to go. I see that Samoa seems to have more and cheaper lodging than American Samoa which barely have any hotels or traditional lodging and they are much more expensive at least based on my search results.

I am curious where I could find lodging in American Samoa that is not too expensive. I see their are homestay or volunteer stay programs but don’t know where to start.

Mentioned in this post
Samoa
Samoa
South Pacific
Wairoa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
605 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Samoa vs. Samoa

The difference in price is the reason I have visited Am Samoa twice and ( Western) Samoa 10 times..... As a solo traveler Sadie’s and Rainmaker/ Tradewinds etc are really expensive, ( around $200) I think Tisa barefoot bar now has accommodation but I don’t know the price - you could try Air BnB’s some are under $100... or ask on an online fb group ? But yes in (Western) Samoa I can find accommodation and food for about a third of the cost of American Samoa.

Mentioned in this post
Samoa
Samoa
South Pacific
Sadie's by the Sea
Sadie's by the Sea
187 Reviews
Tutuila, American Samoa
San Diego...
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: American Samoa vs. Samoa

Thank you Amsymum, it appears there are very few hotels or any type of lodging in American Samoa compared to western Samoa.

Based on my recent websearch appears the Tisa barefoot bar is $119 a night and the tradewinds $145 a night on Hotels.com

Interestingly there are hardly any Fale accommadation in American Samoa compared to Western Samoa.

It appears the only lodging under $100 are Airbnbs. Which I normally loathe as they are still on the wild west side in terms of quality control. Usually the ones I can find that are not booked are probably not very good or lack experience.

Edited: 06 May 2018, 18:32
Mentioned in this post
Samoa
Samoa
South Pacific
SOUTH DAKOTA
Level Contributor
259 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Samoa vs. Samoa

American Samoa is not tourist driven, Western Samoa has a much more developed tourist industry. American Samoa is much more "Off The Beaten Path" and more preserved. We are avid snorkelers and American Samoa was much more attractive for us. Ofu is a place that makes you feel like paradise is there just for you.

Mentioned in this post
Samoa
Samoa
South Pacific
Reply to: American Samoa vs. Samoa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about American Samoa