We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thanks to all for your advice!

Marbella, Spain
Level Contributor
253 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
thanks to all for your advice!

Hi

I just wanted to say thanks to all who gave me wonderful advice on where to stay and eat in San Francisco, we just got back on Thursday evening after a short 2 night stay there after our week long holiday in Las Vegas.

We stayed at the Hotel Vitale in one of their suites and it was just amazing, the view and the services are just fantastic. We ate at the Slanted Door just across the road and although it was extremely busy, the food and service were both excellent. We spent the Tuesday morning on a boat trip to Alcatraz booked by the concierge at Vitale and it was a beautiful day for this trip and we both really enjoyed the tour,well worth the visit. We had lunch on Fishermans Wharf and did the typically touristy thing of looking around the huge array of gift shops and headed up to China Town in the afternoon. We walked and took the street cars and had a lovely day. We had dinner on Tuesday evening at Gary Dankos which was one of the best meals we have ever had, again the service was fantastic and everyone we met whilst we were there were really nice and helpful.

On our last morning we took a bus tour which lasted about 3 & 1/2 hours which was well worth doing, we stopped at Golden Gate bridge, national park amongst other stops and again, we thoroughly enjoyed this trip. It was such a shame it was a short trip but we are determined to come back, we never made it to Sausalito, which we wanted to do, but just never had the time.

Anyway, thanks again everyone, this site is so good and all advice I was given was greatfully received and used.

Loopy

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: thanks to all for your advice!

Thank YOU for your courtesy and report.

Next time, spend nine days here, ten if you want to go to Sausalito, twelve if you want to add Monterey, thirteen if you want to add Big Sur, fourteen with the Hearst Castle, and at least sixteen if you throw in Yosemite.

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thanks to all for your advice!

wonderful loopyloo2!

glad you had a good time. you got a lot packed into those two days. thanks for letting us know.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thanks to all for your advice!

I'm glad you had such a nice time. See? We told you you couldn't go wrong with those restaurants. :-)

santa rosa, ca
Level Contributor
668 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: thanks to all for your advice!

Loopyloo, thank YOU for giving us an update on your trip. I love hearing from posters who appreciated the travel tips given to them. And I am so glad to hear the weather cooperated with you!

Marbella, Spain
Level Contributor
253 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thanks to all for your advice!

Hi

Thanks all for your replies, you really are a great crowd over here! If anyone ever happens to be travelling to Costa del Sol in Southern Spain, please ask away and I will help all I can!

And for sure we will be back to San Francisco, far to wonderful a place to only stay 2 nights in. On the tour bus there were some ladies from Switzerland who I was very envious of, they were staying 2 whole weeks in your wonderful city :)

Loopy

Northeast
Level Contributor
469 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: thanks to all for your advice!

Loopyloo,

Thanks for your report. Can you please tell me the name of the tour that you went on? Thanks!

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: thanks to all for your advice!

Unless loopyloo2 did a city tour combined with Alcatraz, there is only one tour to book: Hornblower Yachts is the concessionaire, operating under:

www.alcatrazcruises.com

If you are simply going to Alcatraz and doing the tour there, that is the single, exclusive concessionaire with a contract with the National Park Service.

All other tour companies advertising Alcatraz either do it as a pass-through package with another tour (city tour is the typical one). Sometimes tour operators mark up the Alcatraz tour portion, which is fine -- if you are a shmoe who wants to pay more money for the same service you can get for less by dealing directly with the sole concessionaire, alcatrazcruises.com

Northeast
Level Contributor
469 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: thanks to all for your advice!

Sorry, I should have been clearer, I was referring to this tour, "On our last morning we took a bus tour which lasted about 3 & 1/2 hours which was well worth doing, we stopped at Golden Gate bridge, national park amongst other stops and again, we thoroughly enjoyed this trip." Could you please tell me who it was booked through. Thanks!

Marbella, Spain
Level Contributor
253 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: thanks to all for your advice!

Hi Jeffysgirl

The tour we took on our last day was with San Francisco Sightseeing Tours, they are situated on Pier 43 and offer a complimentary pick up from your hotel. The bus we went on was brand new and you have headsets to listen to information on the areas you visit and our tour guide was extremely informative also. We were really lucky with the weather when we went and got some great photos and walked loads.

The Alcatraz tour on the previous day was booked with Alcatraz cruises as previously mentioned by BetterthanBings and again we thoroughly enjoyed this trip, fascinating stories and for sure the audio tour is much advised.

Here is the website for the bus tour company:

http://sanfranciscosightseeing.com/

Have a lovely time!

Loopy

Northeast
Level Contributor
469 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: thanks to all for your advice!

Thanks for the information. Glad you had a great trip!!!