We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coit Tower

USA
Level Contributor
16 posts
95 reviews
Coit Tower

Looking for the best time to go for avoiding crowds, the best view times and length of time to spend at the Tower including the Observation Deck.

Thank you.

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,379 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,654 Reviews
from US$61.20*
US$68.00
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods...
1,831 Reviews
from US$126.00*
23 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,833 posts
149 reviews
1. Re: Coit Tower

Tuesday from 3:39 pm to 4:45pm

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Coit Tower

January

3. Re: Coit Tower

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2018, 11:41

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Coit Tower

Please ignore the “expert”in the previous post. He’s a known troll in this forum who writes lies and nonsense. No one is going to pull a gun on you in Telegraph Hill.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,685 posts
184 reviews
5. Re: Coit Tower

Are steps required to get at Coit Tower? We'd like to check it out and will have my in-laws with us this next time (in the 70's but very mobile).

St Bees, United...
Level Contributor
718 posts
91 reviews
6. Re: Coit Tower

There are steps to get up to Coit Tower (Filbert Street or Greenwich Street steps) but bus number 39 goes to the Tower door and its a regular loop from/to Fishermans Wharf area, every 20 minutes. At the tower itself you can take an elevator to the top.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
36 reviews
7. Re: Coit Tower

Weekdays are probably better than weekends for fewer crowds.

I was there on a Friday recently. There was a bit of a line to go up to the top, but probably not more than a 5 or 10 minute wait.

Even at times with larger crowds, I've never been there when it was unbearably crowded and it wouldn't be a place I'd plan around because of crowds.

Contrary to ”facts” from a poster above, admission to the top is $8 for adults who are not SF residents.

Also, going at night isn't particularly dangerous as he asserts. Certainly something could happen there after dark, but also could happen other places. I wouldn't be particularly afraid going there after dark, especially in the evening, compared to many other places and overall SF is fairly safe. But the tower isn't open at night, anyway.

For views, I'd go when it's not too foggy if you can manage, or when you think the light will be best, but the tower itself is only open 10am to 6pm (summer hours).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
30,250 posts
8. Re: Coit Tower

<<<don't go at night or you will have a gun pulled on you,>>

This is interesting, usually the news is all over this kind of thing, I watch the local news but don’t recall hearing that everyone that goes there at night has a gun pulled on them.

9. Re: Coit Tower

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2018, 11:41

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
98 reviews
10. Re: Coit Tower

What is the crime rate for such things in general in SF ? As a tourist it is still normal that you still wander around around 10 pm or so before returning to hotel. in summer it gets dark at 9 pm isnt it ?

Probably i have to tell myself to return to hotel before it gets dark.. :(

Reply to: Coit Tower
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted