We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conditions in San Francisco

Apopka, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
51 reviews
Conditions in San Francisco

Can anyone give some updates on the current conditions in San Francisco? My husband recently read an article on how dirty and unsafe the city has become. I also read two other similar articles in the past 4 months or so. In addition, our friend’s son and his new wife went there on their honeymoon and they said everywhere they went the city smelled of urine and feces and they would not recommend us going. They left early and went to a Napa. Any input?

46 replies to this topic
Coloma, California
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Conditions in San Francisco

Oh crap, here we go again. I don't think we should even dignify yet another attempt to start a negative string.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
30,526 posts
2. Re: Conditions in San Francisco

There are some areas of the city where this is true(a very small part) most areas of the City this is not true.

Minnesota, USA
Level Contributor
828 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Conditions in San Francisco

Yes here we go again...I'll just say that I am female and often travel solo and have never felt unsafe in SF. In the 25+ times I have visited the city, I have NEVER smelled anything bad.

Sure I wouldn't wander the Tenderloin at night and like as in any big city I'm aware of my surroundings, but I feel much safer in SF than in many other cities.

London, United...
Level Contributor
495 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: Conditions in San Francisco

I was just there - late June/early July - lone female. Never felt unsafe - and I wandered all over the place. Loved the city and would go back in a heartbeat.

New Haven, Indiana...
Level Contributor
224 posts
169 reviews
5. Re: Conditions in San Francisco

I'm sure it doesn't help that Fox News has a story running right now. That being said, its not changing my mind about visiting in October! Every city has some type of problem.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: Conditions in San Francisco

You would think Fox News had an agenda or something! ;-)

To the OP, there has been several recent discussions about this topic, hence the replies you are getting. Please read some of these recent discussions rather than kicking off a new one. See an example at the link below...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713…

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
79 reviews
7. Re: Conditions in San Francisco

It sounds like they frequented the wrong part of the city.

Silicon Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
58 reviews
8. Re: Conditions in San Francisco

Some people like to believe the worst. It is hard to change their mind. Most people can take any minor inconveniences in stride.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
49 reviews
9. Re: Conditions in San Francisco

>>> our friend’s son and his new wife went there on their honeymoon and they said everywhere they went the city smelled of urine and feces and they would not recommend us going. <<<

Haha, I hadn't read this fully... They must have spent their entire honeymoon in a homeless camp.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,922 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Conditions in San Francisco

More trolling by people who only watch Fox News and have a right-wing agenda. Millions of people visit San Francisco every year and love it. It’s a great city. Does it have problems? Sure, any big city does. But it certainly doesn’t smell of urine and feces everywhere.

Reply to: Conditions in San Francisco
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted