We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from sfo to Nob Hill

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
247 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
transportation from sfo to Nob Hill

what is the best way (least amount of time and money) to get from SFO airport to Nob Hill? We will only have a carry-on bag. Thanks!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation from sfo to Nob Hill

Taxi- quickest, easiest - $45 + or - a few $. Walk right outside from baggage claim and grab a cab.

Door to Door, Share ride Shuttle - $14-16 per person. May make a few other stops on the way. Catch at the upper level, outside, center isle at the Airport. Get luggage and go back upstairs. Look for Shuttle signs. Shuttle suggstion - Lorries www.sfovan.com

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,268 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation from sfo to Nob Hill

If all you've got is carry on and the "least amount of money" is important. Try a BART & MUNI combo. Take BART from SFOI all the way down to Embarcadaro station (maybe Montgomery, depending on exactly where you want to go in Nob Hill) - I believe the fare from SFO to either of these stations is $5.50.

You then do up to street level and take a MUNI bus ($1.50, but if you're going to be in SF for awhile, consider buy a multi-day pass and/or check out "citypass," which combines a MUNI (weekly?) pass w/"free" museums & I think is a bargain if you'll be doing museums).

Another option from Embarcadaro is to take the California cable. It's the one the locals ride, very little to non-existant wait. (As opposed to the Powell station cable cars which have HUGE lines.)

Also, I will point out that both the multi-day pass is good on the cable car (or did they change that, maybe it's just a discount with passes now?).

The only other thing I'll add is that time of day would have some impact on this. If you're going afternoon rush hour, I wouldn't do this as the MUNI buses will be packed & running slow.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation from sfo to Nob Hill

Ways to get from The Airport to Your Hotel was declared helpful by forum enquirers jeffysgirl and D4real: geocities.com/touringsfo/…FromSFO.html

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation from sfo to Nob Hill

To me, the best way, is to take a taxi, if for two people. Door to door service in the least amount of time. $40+ dollars. Less stress and headache. We tried the other ways, like cabs.

San Francisco
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation from sfo to Nob Hill

BART to Powell street station then walk through the Union Square to Nob Hill. It's an upbill walk though, but if you are not getting off a long flight with light luggage and plenty of energy, stroll around. Otherwise, you would still have the option to take a cab after you get off the BART (may be $10 to $15).

6. Re: transportation from sfo to Nob Hill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 01:21