We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time in LA

Winnipeg
4 posts
Save Topic
first time in LA

I am a little nervous going to LA with my son who is 14 for the first time by ourselves. We are on a strict budget and need a decent hotel that would be close to attractions so we could access taxis as I am not planning to drive there. I plan to take him to the following attractions. Are they all worth the money?

Universal Studios - 1 or 2 days???

Walk of Fame

Rodeo Drive??

Santa Monica is this where Venice Beach is?

A tour of the stars homes? is it worth it and which one?

Am I missing anything? Should I stay in one location for a hotel or move part way through. I plan to be there from July 14 to 18.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time in LA

OOps. You accidentally posted your question about LA on the San Francisco forum.

Move it and I am sure you will get better answers <grin>

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time in LA

You may want to rent a car once you are in LA to travel around to the places you want to see. Mass transport exists but may not suit your itinerary. Cab scene is not helpful.

A day at Universal ought to do the trick. Walk of fame is kind of fun for a half hour or so. Rodeo Drive is mostly high end shopping. I find it boring. Santa Monica and Venice Beach are a few miles apart. I like them both but the pier at Santa Monica has some fun stuff to do for reasonable prices, so it is my favorite. I think a tour of stars homes is a big waste of time - just a bunch of upscale houses. I'd use that time to go to the Getty Museum or LACMA. Be sure to take in Griffith Park and the Observatory. Both are beautiful. Others may have good suggestions as well.

Not sure how much you have budgeted for hotel. Let us know that so we can be more helpful. I'd stay in one location. Packing up and all that jazz can take a big part out of a day.

Winnipeg
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: first time in LA

I wanted to keep hotel costs as low as possible, without staying in a dive. Less than $140 a night if possible.

Thanks for the advice.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,559 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time in LA

It's better to post this in the LA forums --

But, we need to know what your budget per night is, in order to help you.

A taxi from Hollywood to Santa Monica/Venice is about $60 each way. A tour of stars homes is mostly a tour of fences and hedges and gates. Please read our FAQs at the top of the Los Angeles Forums, especially What To Do and Where To Stay.

5. Re: first time in LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2009, 02:18