We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcatraz tickets sold out - any options?

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Alcatraz tickets sold out - any options?

I just found out that the Alcatraz tours are fully booked for the day we want to go. I thought maybe there was some sort of stand-by line, but when I called their customer service number, they told me that they don't have that anymore. Are we completely out of luck, or is there some way to possibly get tickets when they say it is sold out? My visitors only have 1 day in SF, so getting some kind of package deal with multiplie attractions wouldn't make sense.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
749 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcatraz tickets sold out - any options?

There was a recent post that mentioned some travel agent who resells those tickets. If you are ok with paying a little extra , find that thread to get the exact info.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcatraz tickets sold out - any options?

This is the referenced thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k375319…

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcatraz tickets sold out - any options?

Thanks. When I first searched this forum for info, I didn't realize that the results weren't showing me the most recent posts, so I hadn't found the topic you referred me to. I don't think I'm desperate enough to see Alcatraz to patronize a slimy company that is basically scalping the tickets. I'll just wait for another opportunity to go and I'll remember to book advance tickets next time!

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,488 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcatraz tickets sold out - any options?

Good choice glutten____it's not as if you are coming from the other side of the planet and you will have future opportunities to visit at a time that suits you.

Remember you can buy 90 days in asdvance.

El Cerrito...
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcatraz tickets sold out - any options?

It's funny, I've lived in the Bay Area for 20 years now, but have never been to Alcatraz! I thought my out of town visitors would be a good excuse to finally go, but they weren't ready to commit to a schedule in advance; lesson learned!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
749 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcatraz tickets sold out - any options?

Yes, the search results are odd and the sorting is based on "relevance" rather than date.

I am one more long time resident who hasn't toured the Rock!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcatraz tickets sold out - any options?

I think the default on sorting is "relevance" but you can change it to "date."

It took me about 20 years to get over to Alcatraz, but I finally did a few years back. Interesting and well done.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alcatraz tickets sold out - any options?

If I were desperate for Alcatraz tickets, I would buy from a company that packages with tours, such as Tower or others that have been around for years. They simply pass the cost through and you can do a city tour (or whatever) on the same day. And they pick you up at your hotel because it's a tour, which the scalper alcatraztickets does not do.

Alicante, Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alcatraz tickets sold out - any options?

Just returned from San Francisco.Everyone told us Alcatraz Tickets were sold out.We asked in lots of places but no luck.Our hotel porter suggested we queue at pier 39 at 7am as some tickets are released early each day.It was worth the early morning call as all 6 of our party managed to get tickets.You need to show ID & can only buy 1ticket per person.We loved the trip-unmissable.Don't forget your coat it was really cold & misty in July!!

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
449 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alcatraz tickets sold out - any options?

are u staying in a touristy hotel? if so, your consierge may be able to get you tickets