We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcatraz sunset cruise vs Red and White Fleet Sunset cruise

singapore
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Alcatraz sunset cruise vs Red and White Fleet Sunset cruise

Hello San Francisco!

Acaltraz: https:/…tour-comparison.aspx

Red & White: https:/…city_lights_cruise.asp

I would like to visit Alcatraz and experience the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset.

Would the Alcatraz sunset tour suffice?

It seem the diff between them is:

1) Alcaltraz hs the prison tour. R&W dont.

2) R&W goes under the bridge (and has lotsa food), Alcatraz dont.

I'm not big on e food but is the going-under-the-bridge experience worth a separate tour on R&W?

regards.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Alcatraz sunset cruise vs Red and White Fleet Sunset cruise

The two tours have separate "functions". The primary function of the Alcatraz Cruises offerings are to get you to and from Alcatraz to tour the historic prison and grounds, with the "Sunset" flavor taking a bit more circuitous route to allow you to see a bit of the City at sunset or night. Visitor feedback is that the commentary given during the trip is rudimentary -- I certainly don't remember much of anything, but to tell you the truth I was focused on other things.

The Red & White fleet offering is a cruise to nowhere, specifically for sightseeing rather than the destination, with what reads like food, drink, and some form of live entertainment thrown into the mix. They don't make it clear on the webpage you included in your inquiry, but at least their standard daytime bay cruise, they also provide personal headsets in which you can hear pre-recorded commentary of what you're seeing in a total of 12 languages for people who's English isn't up to the task.

Finally although I prefer Red & White fleet (smaller operator with more of a San Francisco history) you might also want to investigate Pier 39-owned Blue & Gold fleet's offerings blueandgoldfleet.com/Sightseeing/…index.cfm which offer more gimmicks or innovations depending on your outlook.

singapore
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Alcatraz sunset cruise vs Red and White Fleet Sunset cruise

Thank you Caffiend for your in-depth view..

I think we are gonna go with just the R&W...

If we really feel itz insufficient, we will try for the actual Alcatraz tour..

tks again!

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Alcatraz sunset cruise vs Red and White Fleet Sunset cruise

Standard warning that particularly during the summer visitor's season, tickets for Alcatraz tours get snapped up early and so if you're interested, you should make your reservations in advance of your visit date. Tickets become available 90 days before the date of a given tour.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
57 reviews
4. Re: Alcatraz sunset cruise vs Red and White Fleet Sunset cruise

I went on the Red & White sunset cruise recently, and thought it was...okay. Nice views of the bridge and the city, definitely, but the food really wasn't anything to get excited about- basically just cheese/crackers and sandwiches.

I personally think the Alcatraz tour would be a lot more fun. You'd get to check out the prison (which a lot of people find really interesting) and take in the sunset views while on the boat too.

5. Re: Alcatraz sunset cruise vs Red and White Fleet Sunset cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2011, 00:16