We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to walk at night in Fishermans wharf?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
42 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to walk at night in Fishermans wharf?

Hi,

Our Amtrak thruway bus (from Oakland Jack london) is supposed to drop us at Fisherman's wharf(around 10:30-11 PM) . Is it safe to walk from Pier 39 to Holiday inn Express at night with luggage?

Walking route:

http://g.co/maps/yxvaa

In European cities I would always do it. I'm not sure about San Francisco.

If not, please could you suggest any options?

Thanks.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to walk at night in Fishermans wharf?

By then the area will be relatively empty but as long as you exercise standard urban common sense (cross the street if you feel uncomfortable, stay out of dark alleys, and don't wake sleeping transients) you'll be fine. The route you provided adds an unnecessary five blocks to the walk however. From Pier 39:

- Walk west along the Embarcadero,

- About a half block west of Pier 39 the Embacadero will split -- take the main, LEFT branch, Jefferson, rather than continuing on the Embarcadero and heading towards the water, Franciscan Crab Restaurant, etc.

- Continue heading west on Jefferson two blocks until Taylor Street (look for the big Fisherman's Wharf Crab and Wheel sign),

- Turn LEFT (south) on Taylor

- Head two blocks south along Taylor to North Point.

- Turn RIGHT onto North Point. Your hotel will be half a block down the street.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to walk at night in Fishermans wharf?

PS - At least the Google Map link you provided appears to default to a convoluted route because:

1. The starting and ending points are reversed. It shows up starting at your hotel and ending at Pier 39.

2. It defaults to driving directions, rather than walking.

The combination of (1) & (2) gives you odd routing because of the one way streets in the area, which would force a car to travel several extra blocks.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to walk at night in Fishermans wharf?

The Google map route assumed driving by car, which is bounded by one-way street restrictions. Your walking route is much shorter. I agree with #1+2, walk shortly along Embarcadero, and Jefferson, then turn on Taylor.

Actually it is even closer to cross Embarcadero, walk along Beach Street then turn on Taylor. Your hotel really is not that far away, about 3 blocks. I don't see much problem in the Fisherman Wharf's neighborhood.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to walk at night in Fishermans wharf?

The problem with Beach Street is that it's the most visually uninspiring of the routes you could take between Pier 39 and the hotel, passing by a number of parking lots and garages, a Muni bus storage facility, and the backsides of several motels or hotels. You'd even be better off taking North Point, which is better than Beach but again pretty uninspired. Additionally and probably for those reasons, what foot traffic you might encounter around 11 PM will be along Jefferson.

England
Level Contributor
42 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to walk at night in Fishermans wharf?

Ah! You mean something like this.

http://g.co/maps/upkge

If it is not safe then I'm OK getting off somewhere where it is busy and get a taxi. Any safe place not too far from fisherman's wharf where I can get down and take a taxi?

Thanks!

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to walk at night in Fishermans wharf?

I don't believe that either of us indicated that the area or the walk was unsafe.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to walk at night in Fishermans wharf?

prash123:

The Fisherman's Wharf area is quite safe. Your hotel is not that far from Pier 39. 2000 feet maybe? If you are so afraid... put some phony credit cards ATM cards and minimal cash in your wallet as a decoy and let the potential robber take it, save the real ones somewhere else. :)

England
Level Contributor
42 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to walk at night in Fishermans wharf?

:-)

Thanks for the info. I read a few things about San Francisco (tenderloin etc.) and I just wasn't sure. I'll follow the walking route suggested.

I don't think the potential robber would find much left in my wallet or enough credit in my card heh heh!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
19,485 posts
1,535 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to walk at night in Fishermans wharf?

I have stayed at hotels in FW including the Holiday Express that is next door to the HI Express and wandered around at night. As long as you are aware of your surroundings you should be fine. The area tends to get rather quiet late at night.

If in doubt take a cab.

Level Contributor
212 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to walk at night in Fishermans wharf?

I do that walk at least once a year. The same bus route from Oakland to the Wharf. Never entered my mind to think it would be unsafe and it is not. You will be fine.