We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter in San Francisco

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Easter in San Francisco

We are a family of 7 (4 adults, 3 kids) travelling to San Francisco over the Easter period. We are staying in a vacation rental in the Noe Valley.

I've been trying to find out if there are any special events in San Francisco over the Easter long weekend or if anything is closes down over Easter.

We have a hire car for the 5 nights and will most likely do at least one day trip to a surrounding area.

Appreciate any help on things to do over the Easter period in San Francisco.

1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter in San Francisco

Several years ago we went to a fantastic Easter brunch at the Ritz Carlton in Half Moon Bay. It was honestly the best brunch I've ever had plus wonderful activities for the children. The hotel's views of the ocean and natural setting can't be beat, plus the town of Half Moon Bay is quite lovely. It may be worth investigating.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,441 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter in San Francisco

But, Half Moon Bay is not in San Francisco. Perhaps you would like to write a *review* in the Half Moon Bay forum. A review will stay around in that area. This message will soon scroll off the board.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
270 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter in San Francisco

Since Easter is the holiest day in all Christian churches, there will be many churches with "big deal" church services. Grace Cathedral (Episcopal) on Nob Hill and St. Mary's Cathedral at Geary and Franklin streets would be good choices as these services tend to bring out many people who only go a couple of times a year so a big church is the best. There is also a sunrise service on Mt Davidson. It usually begins at 6:30 AM I think..

For a more secular celebration, Union street hosts

San Francisco's 21st Annual

Spring Celebration & Easter Parade

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Event 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM

Parade begins at 2:00 PM

Union Street ~ Gough to Fillmore

San Francisco, CA

And then there is brunch which will be a popular thing to do that day. I'd make reservations.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,002 posts
5,925 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter in San Francisco

You might be interested in the Easter Parade

sresproductions.com/union_street_easter.html

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter in San Francisco

Thanks for the suggestions.

I gather that San Francisco shops stay open during the Easter period?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter in San Francisco

Yes, shops will be open.

Just for the record, St. Mary's Cathedral is on Geary at Gough, not Franklin.

I do hope you have parking included with that vacation rental as it is very difficult to find street parking in most of the Noe Valley area.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
382 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter in San Francisco

And speaking of Easter Services, you might try Glide Memorial Church which is also a San Francisco institution. https://www.glide.org/sslpage.aspx Check out their "Our Work" link to get an idea what this church is all about and whether this will be something your family will enjoy.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter in San Francisco

If you want a true San Francisco experience, the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence host their Easter festivities in Dolores Park. Historically this begins with an egg hunt for kids from 11am-Noon, followed by an Easter bonnet contest at 1:30pm, and topped off by the infamous Hunky Jesus contest at 3:30pm.

You won't find something like this anyplace else, and the early festivities are definitely family oriented.

sf
Level Contributor
3,449 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Easter in San Francisco

SFI you might explain the "Sisters" as many of us that grew up here find them paticularily offensive, especially on Easter, and they might feel the same.

Yes its something you'll only find here, but its not something I'll bring my family to see.

An unusual Easter occurrance is the Dawn Easter service on Mt Davidson, at appox 6am.

My .02

Edited: 27 February 2012, 16:51
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,059 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easter in San Francisco

With a name like Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence and a Hunky Jesus contest, I think the tone of the event is sort of obvious.