We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip suggestions

toronto
Level Contributor
675 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road Trip suggestions

hi everyone,

I'm planning my first road trip in highway 1 , driving from Vegas all the way to Sanfransisco. The entire trip is 6 nights, here is what I'm thinking of dividing up. Please let me know what are some must sees/ must stops along the way to make this experience unforgettable.

1 night in LA or 2 nights if I've never been to LA.

1 night somewehre in middle (Santa barbara for wineries or monterey)

1 night again I can stay somewhere towards route to SFA, pls provide suggestions.

last 2 nights in San Fransisco.

Can someone pls advise what are some must sees with my short period of time? I want to make this relaxing at the same time being a ble to hit some nice scenerie and touristy areas.

Thank you all.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,855 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip suggestions

The usual drive is one night in Pismo Beach or Cambria and one night in Monterey or Carmel. The coastal drive it described in the Top Questions about California in the upper right. There is a nice winery region near Paso Robles, but I don't know if you have time with only two nights for the drive.

San Francisco is abbreviated SF. The airport is SFO. Someone else used "SFA" for San Francisco recently, so I'm guessing that's what you mean. If not, please let us know.

toronto
Level Contributor
675 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip suggestions

hi ,

Yes I meant SFA..San Fransisco not airport. I look into suggested routes. thanks

toronto
Level Contributor
675 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip suggestions

I would appreciate other suggestions on must sees/spots given my schedule.

Thanks

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,582 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip suggestions

Since you want to visit wineries, I suggest that first night on the coast be in Cambria with a visit to Paso Robles west side wineries off Highway 46 West on the way. From that area of wine country to Cambria, it's approx. a 25 minute drive.

Santa Barbara's wine country is about 45 minutes north of town, so you would be doing some backtracking if you were to stay there. Besides, SB is only 2 hours north of LA and then you would have a REALLY long day of driving the next day up to Monterey via the coast. Once north of the Cambria/San Simeon area, the highway rises high over the ocean, the roadway narrows and there are lots of twists and turns in the road, which will slow you down. You want to be able to take your time and enjoy the views, sights, etc. and leaving from Cambria, as opposed to Santa Barbara, will allow for that.

Edited: 23 April 2012, 09:24
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,855 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip suggestions

It's not even 6:30 am on the West Coast. I'm an early riser, but perhaps others with ideas aren't yet up. Give them time. And while you're waiting, read those Top Questions as well as some of the threads with contributions from Kibblesmom: tripadvisor.com/members-forums/Kibblesmom Here are some good ones to read (but don't reply since the threads belong to someone else and are all about their trip)

tripadvisor.com/…40328933

tripadvisor.com/…40189743

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28926-i29-k5353775

-----------------------------

Good morning Kibblesmom!

Edited: 23 April 2012, 09:26
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,972 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip suggestions

Given your really short stays in the major cities, I would suggest you take a tour. Since this is the SF forum and your trip is from LA to SF and even outside CA, there are other forums that you may want to look at as well as top questions to get ideas on what to do.

You can take the citysightseeing hop on.off tour in SF or take a Dylans or Best Bay area guided tour for 4-5 hours. That should cover all the touristy areas

Beyond that if you need help on a specific question, please give us your background (likes dislikes) on what you want to do outside of the main sites. Perhaps a Museum, or the theatre --

Also a good online guide book or one at your nearby store would help you get an idea of what you want to do and see.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip suggestions

The drive from Las Vegas to Los Angeles app will take 5 hours. Most of it is through to desert and many people always like to drive through a desert but there really isn't much to stop for. There's the Big Thethometer in Baker, the xxyzx sign, Galico Ghosttown in Barstow and R66 museums in Barstow and Victorville. There's a Wigwam motel in Rialto.

toronto
Level Contributor
675 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip suggestions

Thank you all for great ideas. I am spending 4 days in Vegas at begining of my trip and the rest of 6 nights i'm allocating to the road trip.

I've heard drive from Vegas to LA is boring and planning to not make any stops there.

Perhaps I should skip Santa Barbara and hit Wineries in Cambria.

I just wanted to get ideas if I'm driving by coast from Los Angeles to San Fransisco which areas I should stop by and perhaps spend a night. I am spending 1 night in LA and I have 2 nights between LA and San Fransisco where I can make a stop somewhere. I definitely want to enjoy the drive and one of the best scenic dirves, which is why I'm trying to book a convertible but they all seem expensive.

As to what I'm lookin for is seeing a good winery, perhaps go to a beach for few hours, enjoying the nature and drive. is it a good idea to spend a night in Carmel or Mnterey?

I will take a look at suggested forums.

Thanks alot

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,356 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip suggestions

Your trip is as little lopsided, with 4 days in Las Vegas and only 6 days to do the driving trip, which is quite a few miles. . I would cut out a day from Las Vegas in order to make the rest of the trip at least do-able. without stress and allow you time to see something..

Edited: 23 April 2012, 11:14
toronto
Level Contributor
675 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Trip suggestions

Sorry entire trip is 9 days...so 3 nights in Vegas and 5 nights for drive by coast..is this not doable?

Edited: 23 April 2012, 11:16