We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to stop between San Fran and San Diego? Thanks

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Best places to stop between San Fran and San Diego? Thanks

Hi I am traveling alone just leaving Chicago and getting the Amtrak to Denver and then San Fran.

Was wondering where is best to stop in California between San Francisco and San Diego? (I will be getting the train and bus) Amtrak e.t.c

I was thinking Santa Barbara, Hermosa Beach, Santa Monica...La Jolla. Any other opinions and are there any hidden gems? Or any unique places also. I am not pushed for time as have a couple of months before I fly out of Chicago.

Many thanks any help is appreciated.

Jonny from Wales x

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
309 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to stop between San Fran and San Diego? Thanks

Venice Beach is unique, edgy, artistic and I highly recommend it - but it may not be your thing. I'm 26 and love looking at street art and the vendors selling things at the tables in an open-air, linear flea market - that's on the beach, and the main neighborhood stretch (from what I know) is on Abbot Kinney, which is an awesome place as well, coffee shops and more street art. If that sounds interesting, that's my recommendation.

(Venice is in Santa Monica and while I don't know how exactly you would get there from Union Station, I'm sure it's possible).

Edited: 21 January 2013, 01:51
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to stop between San Fran and San Diego? Thanks

Is renting a car between SF and SD out of the question? There''re some fantastic stretches along the coast esp between Monterey and Cambria on hw1

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to stop between San Fran and San Diego? Thanks

Hey thanks for your tips I have done Venice beach before as been to Cali but defo with again love the quirkiness of the walk.

Yeah hiring a car as I am traveling on my own not feasible but will get train and bus so can look into your advice.

Cheers

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,058 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to stop between San Fran and San Diego? Thanks

SF to Yosemite via public transit: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c151758

Getting from Yosemite Valley back to Merced will be easy. Getting from Merced over to the coast will be much more challenging. Have you cobbled together a method?

Are you in the US now?

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to stop between San Fran and San Diego? Thanks

Hi thanks for your reply.

Yes in the Us now in Chicago getting the Amtrak tomorrow to Denver for few days then to San Francisco.

Was going to book Yosemite National Park with the hostel as they organise it. Thought would be nice in winter to see as I love nature anytime of the year.

Then return to San Francisco and head down to San Diego with few stops inbetween to stay with a friend.

Thanks again Jonny

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
41 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places to stop between San Fran and San Diego? Thanks

I travelled with Amtrak from SD to SF last year. stopping in Santa Barbara was one of the strategically easier options for a lay over, it cost an extra $50US to do but it was worth it, Santa B is really pretty.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places to stop between San Fran and San Diego? Thanks

Cheers man for the info was planning on stopping there and Santa Monica, Hermosa Beach have done Cali before when I went around World on gap year!

Much appreciated can't wait now Amtrak tomorrow Chicago to Denver then long journey Denver to San Francisco and make my way to San Diego to party with local dude I met in South Africa.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,463 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best places to stop between San Fran and San Diego? Thanks

www.amtrak.com is a great resource to help you and decide where you want to stop and see. You say you have been to CA or CALIFORNIA and then have a few places you want to see. You can see the main Amtrak Stations and their bus service to other areas. Once to get to LA then you will have to use the local transport to get around. Please look at the LA forum for help.

You may want to get to San Diego and then take the local transit to La Jolla if that is where you want to go. The local forums can help you but you have to be more specific in what you are looking for.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best places to stop between San Fran and San Diego? Thanks

Thanks for your information much appreciated.

Yeah was planning on staying with a friend in San Diego then may goto La Jolla for the day or something.

Yeah I will look into it more mainly LA portion of the trip I have been here before so don't mind skipping through as such.

Thanks again!

10. Re: Best places to stop between San Fran and San Diego? Thanks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 01:19