We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Super Bowl Sunday

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Super Bowl Sunday

We are from Australia and in SF for a few days before embarking on a cruise ship on the day of the Super Bowl. I think the ship (Queen Victoria) sails at 6pm that night.

I am a sort-of-keen AFL follower on TV (it's on in the AFL (Ozzie Rules Football) off-season. I adopted the 49'ers many years ago,but have never been to a live game (and certainly couldn't afford a Super Bowl ticket even if it was obtainable!). A couple of questions!

Will there be any lead-up activities in SF in the days leading up to Sunday?

Is the game on during the day in the US? Where will it held? What time does it start and finish?

Will we be able to see the telecast of the game and get to the ship before it leaves without us?

Where is the best place in SF to watch the game? and, Do/can we need tickets or to pre-book?

What is the best SF radio channel to listen to for a broadcast of the game?

Is there anything I've missed?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,238 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Super Bowl Sunday

1. No ideas of any lead-up activities. I'm sure there will be some...the locals will chime in.

2. Game is in New Orleans, Louisiana. Starts at about 3:30 PM PST. (5:30 local Louisiana time) It should be over by about 6:45 or so.

3. You can see maybe the first half. If I were you, I would embark the ship the earliest possible, which would be before 3:30. You can see the entire game on a shipboard bar.

4. Any bar but refer to answer #3

5. No idea...most likely the ESPN affiliate.

Didn't miss anything....try to board early and you should be fine.

Dr. Z

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,862 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Super Bowl Sunday

The Superbowl is in New Orleans this year. It'll start at 6:30 eastern time, which is 3:30 west coast time. You will not have time to see the game before you board the ship. Let's hope your ship will have some broadcast capabilities.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,698 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Super Bowl Sunday

Teams: San Francisco 49ers vs. Baltimore Ravens

Date: Sunday, February 3, 2013

Kickoff time: 3:30 PST

Channel: CBS (this is tv; radio might be the same network. There is only one network licensed to broadcast the game.)

Duration: 3 hours or so

There is a sports bar called Players at Pier 39, which is close to your pier, so that's probably the safest location to watch (and least likely to be overrun with local fans).

No activities here in the run up to the game... that will all be in New Orleans. (The Super Bowl buzz/hype is almost unrelated to the teams that play... the game is its own legend.) There "might" be a big-screen tv at Civic Center for the public to watch the game, but I can't find anything about it yet.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,470 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Super Bowl Sunday

As you may know this is quite new to a whole generation of San Francisco and Bay Area residents and transients who have come to this area. The last time we won that Superbowl was 18 years ago.

I recall going to a few bars and have a pre-super bowl rally of sorts somewhere near the Embarcadero center. We were in the pager and landline era for the most part and used the good old newspaper to get information -- no tweets, no facebook -- it was the aol generation keyword: NFL

There are 49er stores now in SF at the Embarcadero and I am sure there will be something there. We have had a similar experience with Baseball and our Baseball park is in the city so it is easier to get to and meet fans before the games than it is to meet at Candlestick park.

KNBR which is the voice of the 49ers should carry the radio play-by-play at 680 on the AM dial

As mentioned above every available TV in SF will most likely be tuned in to watch the game -- some may watch the commercials more then the game, others may want to see Beyonce at the half time show

As mentioned above, I would try to make it to the ship and see it there

Edited: 22 January 2013, 23:36
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,877 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Super Bowl Sunday

I feel for you, as I'm traveling that day also (out of San Francisco International Airport) and, as a lifelong Niner fan, what we've decided to do is get to a nice airport hotel by 1pm to be prepared for the game beginning at 3:30pm and the festivities ahead of the game ongoing throughout the morning and early afternoon. One of us (me) will then fly out and the other of us gets to stay overnight in veritable luxury (similar to a cruise ship --- haha).

Having taken 7 cruises in the past (not recently), my philosophy was always to arrive about 3 hours prior to sailing and enjoy the ambience of the ship (getting the lay of the land), prior to departure.

If you really want to relax and enjoy the entire game, just plan a leisurely day ---- getting to the ship by 2-ish, at least (if they let you) and into your stateroom and then parking yourself at the best bar you can find (I'm sure there are several ---- and there will be Super Bowl fans everywhere) and making a ton of new friends. It's really the only Super Bowl "viewing experience" that makes any sense, given your cruise departure schedule.

Enjoy the game. Go Niners!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Super Bowl Sunday

Thx Guys,

Oops - its NFL - not AFL! Easy to get confused when you live and breathe Ozzie Rules for half the year!

I'll check out the situation on the ship via Cruise Critic - however last year we were on a Mediterranean cruise (Royal Caribbean) when the US (Tennis) Open was on and they hardly televised a match. However, the Super Bowl has to be the biggest thing going around - and there'll certainly be lots of Yanks interested. Looking forward to a tight game - let's hope I can get into the bar!

Go Niners!

For future interest, if we are in the US during the season and wanted to see an NFL (or maybe College?) game - what's the best strategy? I remember heading off on the Metro to find out if I could get in to see the Giants play when I was in NY one year only to find no-one at the ground because they were playing Dallas in Texas - Duh! - It's hard when you're not a local.

PS: Haven't seen the game yet. but just heard that Williams has been knocked out of the Australian (Tennis) Open! I had her down to win this year and she looked formidable in previous matches - perhaps the ankle injury was just too much? Wot! me a sports junkie - never!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Super Bowl Sunday

On 2 different sites I found:

03 Feb '13 San Francisco, California Check in 8:30pm

Date: 2/3/2013 5:30 AM - 9:00 PM

Pier 35 South

So you will have time to see the game in a bar.

The distance between Players at Pier 39 and your ship is .4 of a mile, 7 minutes by foot.

Please verify your departure time. Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Enjoy SF.

I'm sure you can see the game on the ship. Perhaps in the Med they couldn't get a satellite.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 04:29
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Super Bowl Sunday

PS If you do decide to go another bar please make sure you can get back to the ship in time, in case you have to walk it. When we win people may take over the streets and then the cars, buses, etc. won't be able to move.

Level Contributor
36,202 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Super Bowl Sunday

Congrats to the 49ers on an awesome game! :)

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,862 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Super Bowl Sunday

To OP, the best strategy for future football games is to check the team website for a specific team and find out their schedule. Then buy tickets accordingly.

Williams suffered a back spasm which affected her game. It's great to see an 18 yr old into the semi. Look forward to her career.