We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

S.F.Bay Suburb lodging for oldsters

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ventura, CA
Level Contributor
108 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
S.F.Bay Suburb lodging for oldsters

My 70+ parents are driving from Portland to visit me in So Cal. What Bay area city would have inexpensive lodging that is somewhat freeway accessible (and pet friendly)? They are suburban, Big Box people at heart and get excited about going to the Olive Garden, so nothing too urbany! Hoping for a cooler stop for them along the way.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: S.F.Bay Suburb lodging for oldsters

Are they just looking for an overnight stop then continuing the drive down? Are they taking I-5 right down? If so.. By freeway accessible do you mean hotel near I-5?

Edited: 29 June 2013, 09:38
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: S.F.Bay Suburb lodging for oldsters

The older I get the less I like to sit/drive in a car for long distances. I live 2 hours south of Portland and while I drove all the way to SF many times in the past not sure I'd want to do it now.

Also, if they are not really going to SF but headed to you in Ventura, via SF might not be the fastest route, as ALTippet pointed out.

There are a lot of moderate motels around Redding off the I-5, I might make that my stopping point if I were making that trip. Ideally I'd make 2 stops, but that's me, I like to sightsee along the way and not just drive. But by staying in Redding you'll not be hitting any major metro areas during their rush hours, but rather in the middle of the day.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: S.F.Bay Suburb lodging for oldsters

When you say cooler weather, that implies a coastal city. Are they driving down on 101 or 5 ? If on 101 the cooler cities will be on the water -- Pacifica will not be a very long diversion on the Bay Area route. But if they are on I5, it is going to be hot. Are they planning to come for the 4th of July weekend. Temps in Ca as you know are very high and with a pet i would urge extreme caution

Ventura, CA
Level Contributor
108 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: S.F.Bay Suburb lodging for oldsters

Thank you all. I didn't realize that the I 5 would be the shortest route. They do plan to do the trip with two stops along the way. If they do decide to do the 101, then I will check into Pacifica. And YES. This weekend in particular is very hot, even where I live on the coast. I'm hoping for a bit of a cool-down before they start. I'm thinking about Shasta for the first night (cooler in the mountains?), although they thought maybe Ashland.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,086 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: S.F.Bay Suburb lodging for oldsters

I don't think they want to detour too far away from I-5, which means it's not going to be cool all the way. Shasta (the town) is not any cooler than other towns along I-5. Going to Pacifica will take them way out of their way. Look at google maps to see. Ashland is a very nice little town. But this would require two stops on the way down to Ventura.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: S.F.Bay Suburb lodging for oldsters

Ashland and Sacramento will divide the trip into 3 segments roughly 5+ hours each.

Yes it will be hot but we have AC so it will be ok.

Redding / Red Bluff will be the hottest but that is roughly the halfway point if they're doing the trip in two days.

7. Re: S.F.Bay Suburb lodging for oldsters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 02:17