We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching - Farallon Islands or Monterey Bay?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Waterloo, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching - Farallon Islands or Monterey Bay?

Which is the better place to Whale Watch from - the Farallon Islands (leaving from San Francisco) or Monterey Bay (leaving from Santa Cruz)?

Thanks for your advice

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,595 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching - Farallon Islands or Monterey Bay?

I have not been whale watching, but the local papers have been reporting unusually frequent sighting of blue whales in the Monterey Bay.lately. That would be my personal choice, especially since in the Bay you are not subject to the ocean turbulence which causes seasickness in the open ocean near the Farallons.

If you choose to go out of Santa Cruz, Stagnaros has been a family business in whale watching and fishing for several generations. I recommend them.

http://www.stagnaros.com/

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching - Farallon Islands or Monterey Bay?

I've heard that whale watching from Monterey has less chop and is a shorter boat ride. One year we went from Moss Landing (between Santa Cruz and Monterey) and a lot of folks got seasick.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching - Farallon Islands or Monterey Bay?

The Farallon Islands are 25+ miles outside the Golden Gate in open ocean. Not only will you get lot more ocean chop but it will also take a lot longer to get out there as well.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 09:23
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,684 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching - Farallon Islands or Monterey Bay?

I have been on many whale watching cruises all over California and elsewhere. Leaving from SF to the Farrallons is not one I have been on for the reasons listed above - distance to whale viewing grounds and more open sea. I would head down to Monterey or Moss Landing. When will you be visiting?

Regardless of where you go, you should take precautions if you are prone to sea sickness. More often than not this will be a choppy ride.

Waterloo, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching - Farallon Islands or Monterey Bay?

Thanks for your help everyone!

California
Level Contributor
4,214 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale watching - Farallon Islands or Monterey Bay?

Only whale watch around the Farallon Islands if you enjoy vomiting over the side of a boat in front of complete strangers. Never again!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale watching - Farallon Islands or Monterey Bay?

You can find further opinions here.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k664525…

Edited: 11 August 2013, 19:11
8. Re: Whale watching - Farallon Islands or Monterey Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 00:16