We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco over Christmas

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco over Christmas

We want to do something different for Christmas this year and my wife always wanted to go to San Fran so that is what we are thinking, a Dec 22-26 trip.

Any advice here? Is SF a good place to be over Christmas? I am also looking for a good hotel, something classy, I have been looking around a bit and like the Monaco for example. Lastly, we will be bringing our 3 year old.

Any suggestions, comments, etc. very welcome.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco over Christmas

Christmas is a slower time in San Francisco. Of course, Christmas Eve is busy on Union Square with last minute shoppers, but its a quiet time for hotel occupancy. You should be able to get a good rate.

I like the Monaco and its a good choice. I would also consider the Westin St. Francis and Grand Hyatt. Both are overlooking Union Square's Christmas tree and go all out on decorations.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
142 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco over Christmas

Union Square will be nicely decorated for the hoildays. Checking out the Macy's window displays is a tradition, kids will enjoy it. Down by the Embarcadero, there will be an actual OUTDOOR ice rink (kristi yamaguchi rink). Of course, the day after Christmas is the 2nd busiest shopping day of the year.

Some hotels will have special Christmas dinners so you may want to look into that Theatres like A.C.T., Curran theatre, will be presenting holiday shows like A Christmas Carol, White Christmas, and the Nutcracker etc. There are also various holiday fairs, tree lighting ceremonies, and other events you can find online.

San Francisco area
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco over Christmas

Try the St. Francis on Union Square and go to White Christmas play or Christmas Carol. I took my 2 young teens last year and had a memorable time. The area is as safe as it will get (don't go out too late at night though). You can eat at Sears around the block (has great Swedish pancakes). Have Christmas dinner at any nearby restaurant (probably should make reservations at the nicer ones and some aren't open). Shopping is fun. The hotel lobby has a huge tree your child will enjoy looking at (and a bar next to it for you). Have fun!

Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco over Christmas

We are also staying in SF over Xmas.On Xmas day we will most probably venture into Chinatown where we have been told everything will still be open.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco over Christmas

I think SF is a great place to be during the holidays, particularly around Union Square. The city is done up nicely -- lights, tree in Union Square, tree in City Hall.

Hotel rates should be good, and the shopping madness will pause off on the actual day.

If you stay at the Monaco with your 3-year-old, he may be charmed by the optional in-room pet goldfish. You should request that if you stay there.... unless he has a tendency to drop things into the fishbowl! ;-)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,308 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco over Christmas

Christmas in San Francisco is great. While I like the Monaco, I would stay in Union Square. Wes's suggestion of the Grand Hyatt or the St. Francis is a good one because you are right there with the tree and all of the decorations. If you choose the St. Francis ask to choose your room location. Some of the rooms in the historic part of the hotel are in the back and don't have views. I would give a lot to have an historic room facing the Square. A tower room facing it would be okay too, I guess. As a matter of fact the rooms facing the Square in the Grand Hyatt are set back half a block. Good luck and enjoy.

7. Re: San Francisco over Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 04:17