We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible hotels

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Possible hotels

Hi,

My partner & I are heading to Boston in July for a few days as part of a East Coast tour. We would really like to know what hotels are recommended. We are hoping to have done our ‘shopping fix’ in New York so this is not priority. Is Back Bay still worth staying in, I have seen The Taj as a possible. The Langham seems to be a bit distant yes? Am I right?

Also is it a good idea to stay in The Liberty as it really does look like a fabulous hotel? What about Fifteen Beacon? Its really more about location I guess and that is where any opinion would be great, we are both under 31 so nothing too stuffy is ideal

Thanks

Steven

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,317 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible hotels

Not quite sure what you mean when asking if Back Bay is "still" worth staying in. It was and it is. What would make it not?

The Langham is in the Financial District, so you'd have to walk 10 minutes to Fanueil Hall or the Waterfront. I don't think that makes it distant, but you've got to make that call. Anyway, if location is key, to me the Liberty is as distant. Fifteen Beacon is better, but why not like the Parker House or Marriott Custom House or one of the Copley Square Hotels? Those are right in the action. Just a thought.......

AlanM

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible hotels

Apologies.........what I meant was I have heard Back Bay is shopping heaven, and as such is it ideal if you have done most of this in NY?

I do like the look of the Liberty hotel and on its web site it says ten mins walk to anything required. Ideally the hotel would be member of LHW so I can get member benefits.

Steven

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,317 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible hotels

If a 10 minute walk makes a hotel not distant, then any hotel in the Downtown/Waterfront/Back Bay will work for you. As far as Back Bay, you have only said you don't need shopping. What DO you need?? What are you planning to do??

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible hotels

Good point Alan !! Sorry,

I guess we want a good hotel in a location that is convenient to most of the sights, of which I do not know that much about in Boston but I understand it’s a relatively small and easy city centre to walk around. We would probably like more historic area and be close to what people class as the main sights.

Steven

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,596 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible hotels

Boston is much smaller than New York City. The public transportation system will get you almost anywhere you want go and fairly quickly.

Of the hotels you have mentioned, I would choose one hotel that gives you want you want and not be as concerned about location.

Some things you may enjoy: A Duck Tour, Walking some of the Freedom Trail/Quincy Market, a/k/a Fanueil Hall//North End/, Public Gardens/Boston Common, Harvard Square in Cambridge, a boat tour of the Boston Harbor Islands, Museum of Fine Art. These sights are scattered throughout the city.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible hotels

STEVEN-SCOTLAND, you may be better off waiting until Boston for your shopping fix.

There is no sales tax in Massachusetts on clothing below $175 and 5% on the price above $175.

In New York State, sales tax is 4% on the price of clothing above $110.

Regarding hotels, the Nine Zero might be what you are looking for.

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible hotels

Ahhhh.............

Thanks for the tip on saving some money, with a great exchange rate this may well prove to be a disaster for Mr Amex !!!

I'll take a look at Nine Zero, I think out of the leading hotels of the world portfolio in Boston, Liberty looks teh best bet. Would you agree?

S

Boston
Level Contributor
6,294 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible hotels

The Taj and 15 Beacon are more centrally located, but as you said, Boston is pretty compact. So, the Liberty, although not smack in the middle of things is just fine. There is a subway stop (Charles) right across the street from the Liberty. So, it is certainly convenient.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible hotels

I like the location of the Liberty and probably prefer it to Copley.

But to reiterate what everyone was saying, Boston proper is pretty small. It's hard to be in No Man's Land.

10. Re: Possible hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 01:28