We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak Station - Boston

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Amtrak Station - Boston

Hello. I am planning on taking the Amtrak from Boston to NYC. I am staying in Cambridge. What station would be the closest/best for me to catch the Amtrak at?

Thanks.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,426 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak Station - Boston

Not sure where in Cambridge you are staying, but most likely Red Line to South Station. There are also busses that travel on Mass Ave in Cambridge, to Boston, so in that case Back Bay would be closer.

Somerville
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak Station - Boston

I'd still recommend South Station over Back Bay. If you take the #1 bus on Massachusetts Ave, you'd have about a half mile to walk to the Back Bay station; if you take the Red Line you'll be -at- South Station. South Station is bright and relatively spacious while Back Bay is dim and cramped in comparison.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
28,827 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak Station - Boston

I also would go to South Station thats where the Amtrak begins and you get a good choice of seats,by the time you get to Back Bay Station your seating choice would be limited.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak Station - Boston

I am going to be staying at the Kendall Hotel - 350 Main Street, Cambridge. I believe my hotel is near the Kendall Train station. Would the South Station still be the better choice? Can I get there via public transit?

Thanks everyone!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak Station - Boston

Yes, Kendall Station is on the Red Line. Take any inbound train from there four stops to South Station. Quick and easy.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak Station - Boston

I am planning on catching the Amtrak on a Wednesday around 9:30 am. How difficult will it be to take luggage on public transit at this time (rush hour?) Also, how often do the trains come (public transit) and how long would it take for me to get from Kendall Station to the South Station?

Thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak Station - Boston

I think the red line trains come by every 10 minuutes or so. It should take 15 minutes to get to South Station. Luggage is not a problem.

www.mbta.com

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
47 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amtrak Station - Boston

During rush hour, trains come very frequently - like every few minutes. Once the train comes, you have only 4 stops to go. That should be 10-15 minutes, max.

The train will be crowded before 9, but you should be fine with your luggage. When you get to the South Station stop, there are escalators at the station, which should make it easier to deal with your luggage as well.

Halifax...
Level Contributor
78 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amtrak Station - Boston

Also you will primarily be going in the opposite direction of most of the crowds during the morning commute so there should be more room. But don't be intimidated if it is crowded. Just say "excuse me" and then push your way on. People tend to stand right by the doors when there is plenty of room in the body of the train.

Make sure you take an INBOUND train at Kendall.

Don't bother to sit down unless it is a very empty train since you are only going a few (4) quick stops. There are elevators at South Station if you need to take them but the escalators work faster. When you get up to the top, follow the signs for South Station and/or ask a T worker. They should have someone there in a yellow(?) vest who's sole job is to help people.

You shouldn't need to be outside at all as their is an escalator that takes you right up into the heart of South Station. You'll see the big board showing all the trains as you crest the escalator.

10. Re: Amtrak Station - Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2009, 02:42