We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advise on good restaurants in Boston, reasonable prices

San Diego...
Level Contributor
36 posts
86 reviews
Need advise on good restaurants in Boston, reasonable prices

Hi everyone, firstly I'd like to thank everyone for helping me with my trip to Boston. I have finally finished planning the itinerary. 6 nights at the Westin Copley Place. Then we pick up a car and drive to Plymouth for 3 nights and are staying at the Thornton Adams B&B. We were not planning on renting a car at first, but realize that it is the best way to go as we can drive to the Cape and other places from Plymouth.

Now, I need some advise on good reasonably priced restaurants in Boston. So far, from my research in some Boston travel books, I have found Cafe Jaffa, Chacareo, Durgin Park, Legal Sea Foods and Regina Pizzeria. Can anyone recommend any other places? Any type of food is fine, except Indian (I love it but my kids won't eat it).

Also, if any of you know of good restaurants in Plymouth, tell me too.

We are very much looking forward to our first trip to Boston.

Again, thank you so much for all your help.

Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,106 Reviews
from US$44.05*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
603 Reviews
from US$55.65*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour
830 Reviews
from US$79.00*
San Diego...
Level Contributor
36 posts
86 reviews
11. Re: Need advise on good restaurants in Boston, reasonable prices

travelbabble - The 14 year old is a boy and he eats as much as an adult, often more! The 11 year old is a girl and a very picky eater. She doesn't eat a lot and usually shares mine.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
67 reviews
12. Re: Need advise on good restaurants in Boston, reasonable prices

Chacarero is excellent for lunch (not open for dinner) and will fit your budget.

Cafe Jaffa is also excellent and it is a sit down restaurant and would be great for dinner. If you order judiciously, you should be able to squeeze a $50 meal out there for the four of you. They have the Cafe Jaffa "Feast for two" for $30.95, and I bet all four of you could easily share that, and maybe another dish if your son is really hungry. I know when I order it with a friend, there's always leftovers.

http://www.cafejaffa.net/

The Sultan's Kitchen is a great sit down, counter service place (no waitresses) downtown, with excellent Turkish food. They are open until 8pm during the week, so you could do dinner there as well. You can certainly get out of there for under $50.

http://www.sultans-kitchen.com/

Dino's in the North End on Salem St. is an excellent little restaurant, again with Counter service only, so prices are very reasonable. You could order carefully and stay under $50 for the four of you, or certainly no more than $60.

http://dinosboston.net/

Pho Pasteur in Chinatown is an excellent Vietnamese restaurant. If your family likes noodle soup, you can order four bowls of delicious Pho, and have a filling meal for around $30 for the four of you (a Large bowl, which is really large, is around $5.00) I always go there when I am going to the theater and don't want to spend a lot on dinner out, instead of getting a pizza slice or similar.

http://www.phopasteurboston.net/

Generally speaking, Chinatown is cheap, and there are a lot of places where you could realistically expect to serve 4 people for $50. Other options are Gourmet Dumpling House, New Jumbo Seafood, or China Pearl. At any one of these places, you should be able to keep to your budget.

As mentioned above, Legal Seafood is not an option at that price, and Durgin Park will be somewhat difficult as well (but you should be able to eat there for under $90 for four).

San Diego...
Level Contributor
36 posts
86 reviews
13. Re: Need advise on good restaurants in Boston, reasonable prices

Thanks Beantownman for the recommendations. Jaffa Cafe and Sultans Kitchen sound great as we love Middle Eastern food.

Thank everyone for your help. I wish I would have done these forums with my previous trips.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
3 reviews
14. Re: Need advise on good restaurants in Boston, reasonable prices

Not really convenient unless you have plans to be at or near Fenway Park, but the Busy Bee restaurant on Beacon Street in Brookline (about a half-mile from the ballpark) offers excellent cheap eats.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
201 posts
9 reviews
15. Re: Need advise on good restaurants in Boston, reasonable prices

Yankee Lobster might fit the bill...

http://www.yankeelobstercompany.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
199 posts
43 reviews
16. Re: Need advise on good restaurants in Boston, reasonable prices

How about Cheesecake Factory? The portions are enormous so you can share, the appetizers are large too. There is one in Prudential. I think the quality is good, and it's very popular. Lunch sized portions (and thereby cheaper) are available until 5pm.

www.thecheesecakefactory.com/frames.asp…

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
168 reviews
17. Re: Need advise on good restaurants in Boston, reasonable prices

Here's a website you might want to look at:

www.hubeats.com

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,737 posts
67 reviews
18. Re: Need advise on good restaurants in Boston, reasonable prices

You mentioned chipotle. We have those. I've seen Panda Express once or twice .. in various area, (even the North End) you'll find small Chinese restaurants, similar to Panda Express. We have McDonald's and Burger King and Wendy's. We all just assume that you wouldn't be asking about places like that ... but on a long trip, especially w/ kids, sometimes a quick lunch w/ the King isn't such a bad idea.

For sandwiches and soups and such we have Bruegger's Bagels and Finagle-a-Bagel. We have mid-sized deli-type places that office workers often frequent ... as long as you aren't looking for sit-down meals all the time, you will have less expensive options.

19. Re: Need advise on good restaurants in Boston, reasonable prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2009, 00:42