We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Timer: Trip Report Part 1, Long!

Dover, Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
83 reviews
1st Timer: Trip Report Part 1, Long!

Trip Report: Day 1 and 2

I am a history teacher from Ohio who was traveling solo to Boston for pleasure but also as part of a travel class for graduate credit. I left Pittsburgh Airport early Sunday morning. My first impression of Boston was how close the airport is to the water. It felt like we were just feet over the water as we were landing.

Picked up my luggage and found the shuttle bus to the T. I bought a 7 day link pass at the T for $15.00 and took the blue line to the government center stop, then picked up the green E to Heath. On the blue line there were a man and his young son in lederhosen speaking to another young couple in German. I knew this was going to be an interesting trip. It’s not everyday that a small town Ohio girl gets to see a hot guy in lederhosen, lol.

I was a bit surprised at first on the Green line. It seemed dirty and scary compared to the DC metro. Later I learned that it is the oldest subway line in the US which made more sense, and I realized that the other lines seem much newer and cleaner. In general, the subway system was easy to use and fast.

I got off the Green at Prudential and walked through the mall to the Sheraton (I posted a review for the Sheraton separately). After I checked in I got back on the metro to Park Street. I walked through the Boston Common to Beacon Hill. I spent several hours walking the streets including Louisburg Square and Charles. They had an art walk on that day and several musicians-definitely a cool experience.

I contemplated eating at Figs, but decided to go down the street to the Upper Crust and grab pizza and a salad. I asked for it to go and walked down the street to the Public Garden. It was really cool to sit in the grass near the ducklings and watch the Swan boats in the lagoon. The pizza was good (but not the best I’ve ever had), but I forgot to get napkins-so I licked my fingers, wiped them on the bag and was glad no one there knew me.

I walked through the garden, over the bridge and west onto Commonwealth Avenue mall. This is another beautiful place with great houses and architecture. I enjoyed the Vendome memorial (a tribute to fallen firefighters). I also scoped out some of Marlborough Street. At some point I moved south to Newbury Street. This is a great place to simply soak up the ritzy Boston atmosphere. I spent some time in Filene’s Basement and had a vanilla apricot bubble tea at Tealuxe.

I ended up back at the Prudential to pick up my Duck Tour, which was awesome and I highly recommend it. I ended the evening at PF Changs in the Prudential mall, which was good, but not great.

Day 2

Today was the day for the Freedom Trail. Up early, I walked from the Sheraton to the Massachusetts State House. My highlights of the Freedom Trail: I enjoyed the museum in the Old State house. As a history teacher I thought it was pretty cool that they still have the cane used to beat Charles Sumner (I know, the geek is strong in me!). I also enjoyed the Old North Church mostly because of a great speaker there.

I disliked Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. This is a very touristy area and while I don’t mind doing touristy things, it was packed to the gills with people. There were some pretty cool street performers. I decided to be touristy and eat lunch at Cheers on the patio. I often think that waiters prefer not to have solo diners because there will be a smaller tip. I waited for quite a long time and no one came to my table (and I was really thirsty after walking for so long). I consider myself to be fairly patient as I teach 9th grade students with learning disabilities, so I decided to wait a little longer to see if the tables near me would be served. After serving several tables that had been seated after me I decided to get up and leave. No one said a word. Oh well, there loss was my gain as I walked to the North End for lunch.

Oh, the North End. I had fabulous pasta and a great glass of wine at Cantina Italiana with a fantastic waiter. This was the life! I grabbed a cannoli, a lobster claw and a chocolate covered cheesecake from Modern Pastry. I knew I wouldn’t eat them all, but I figured I was on vacation and that I wanted to try a little of everything. I ate the cannoli in a little park between Cross Street and Surface road and I was in pastry heaven. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping and I was eating pastry paradise in Boston. It couldn’t have been a better day.

I then walked down to the Long Wharf and checked out the gorgeous view of the Moakley building and the cool boats. I grabbed the T at the Aquarium and took it back to the hotel to stow my pastries. I ended up eating dinner at Steve’s Greek restaurant on Newbury on a nice window side street with a decent glass of red Greek wine. What a fantastic day!

Boston...
Level Contributor
150 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: 1st Timer: Trip Report Part 1, Long!

What a fantastic report! I feel like I was walking in Boston right with you.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,381 posts
168 reviews
2. Re: 1st Timer: Trip Report Part 1, Long!

Wonderful! thanks for sharing!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
3. Re: 1st Timer: Trip Report Part 1, Long!

Hey, I remember you, Squirrel!

Sounds like you packed in quite a lot in your first two days in the city. This will be a good report to read for all those solo female travelers who wonder if getting around Boston is safe and easy.

I'm glad you spent time in Beacon Hill, North End and Back Bay. Three distinct neighborhoods that represent what Boston is all about.

Sounds like you were having a good time enjoying our city. Looking forward to Part 2 of your trip report.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: 1st Timer: Trip Report Part 1, Long!

We love getting reports like this. Thanks for putting in so much detail -- it's very interesting. Glad you saw some good stuff while here.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,516 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: 1st Timer: Trip Report Part 1, Long!

Nice report, looking forward to reading part two.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,440 posts
67 reviews
6. Re: 1st Timer: Trip Report Part 1, Long!

What a great report.

The start of it really made me smile ... you feel like you are right over the water when you land at Logan because you ARE. I live near that water and occassionally in the local newspaper's police blotter you see items like "At the request of Air Traffic Control, Officers A and D spoke to kite flyers at the beach about shortening their string".

As for the guy in lederhosen ... I've lived here all my life and while I've certainly heard German spoken, I've never seen lederhosen on the T!! A kilt or two, yeah, but never lederhosen ... there's not THAT many people of German ancestry in Boston. lol!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: 1st Timer: Trip Report Part 1, Long!

Squirrelfriend, Great trip report. I love your screen-name. Last year about this time we had a trip report about squirrels!

Forgotmypword,

There is a German Summer Festival in Walpole this weekend. If you want to see men in lederhosen come on down! There will also be kid activities, German food, German vendors, a German Band and of course plenty of beer!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
8. Re: 1st Timer: Trip Report Part 1, Long!

I like Faneuil Hall best at night with a light rain.

With no one around you get to notice more.

Nice report..thanks

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
31,102 posts
117 reviews
9. Re: 1st Timer: Trip Report Part 1, Long!

Great start enjoying it.

10. Re: 1st Timer: Trip Report Part 1, Long!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2009, 02:17