We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torn between Harbor/North End or Back Bay Area

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
6 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Torn between Harbor/North End or Back Bay Area

We will be traveling in July 3 afternoon and then leave some time on the 4th. I am torn between the two areas and realize they are quite different. Would appreciate any opinions you may share.

Current plans are to stay at the Boston Harbor Hotel, do a Duck Tour from the MOS, then walk through the North End for dinner with a stop by Modern Pastry on the way back to the hotel for the evening.

Other thought is to stay at the Lenox or Four Seasons in Back Bay, do the Duck Tour from the Prudential Center then eat at a seafood restaurant that evening. I guess then on July 4th we could check out the North End on our way up the coast to Maine.

I tend to want to do it all and realize with the time we have budgeted for Boston I can't do it all so I'm trying to make sure I've made the right decisions.

I'm thinking I'm good with the original plan but just need some of your input. Many thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Boston Harbor Hotel
Boston Harbor Hotel
2,043 Reviews
Boston, MA
North End
North End
6,316 Reviews
Boston, MA
Lenox Hotel
Lenox Hotel
3,553 Reviews
Boston, MA
Prudential Center
Prudential Center
1,441 Reviews
Boston, MA
Maine
Maine
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,435 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torn between Harbor/North End or Back Bay Area

First of all the two areas are only about 20-25 minutes apart on foot --- quicker by T or taxi. Both areas are "good" areas for seeing what you want to see. You can get seafood near the Boston Harbor Hotel ... just becuase it is near the north end doesn't require you to have a meal there, kwim?

Given that it's summer, if I had to choose, I'd take the Boston Harbor HOtel. Great views, great outdoor spaces ... if you were asking the same question in January, I'd probaby tell you the opposite ... lol!

Mentioned in this post
Boston Harbor Hotel
Boston Harbor Hotel
2,043 Reviews
Boston, MA
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torn between Harbor/North End or Back Bay Area

The Boston Harbor Hotel is absolutely first-rate. The location is unbeatable. No reason at all to second-guess your current plan, even though you would be nicely situated in Back Bay also.

Also, I don't know how you're traveling to Maine, but if you're driving, stopping by the North End en route wouldn't be very practical.

Mentioned in this post
Boston Harbor Hotel
Boston Harbor Hotel
2,043 Reviews
Boston, MA
Back Bay
Back Bay
451 Reviews
Boston, MA
Maine
Maine
United States
North End
North End
6,316 Reviews
Boston, MA
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
99 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torn between Harbor/North End or Back Bay Area

Not surprisingly, Boston has a full week of festivities/activities around the 4th. Whie you will not be there very long, you should check out some of these special events (e.g., reenactment of the Boston Tea Party, Reading of Declaration of Independence from Old State House, etc.)

And yes, I'd stay on the Harbor.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Reading
Reading
Pennsylvania
Old State House
Old State House
1,065 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Torn between Harbor/North End or Back Bay Area

I would pick The Boston Harbor Hotel over the other two mentioned.

Mentioned in this post
Boston Harbor Hotel
Boston Harbor Hotel
2,043 Reviews
Boston, MA
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
6 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torn between Harbor/North End or Back Bay Area

Thanks so much for your reassurances!! We will stick with our original plans and plan on taking in the "rest" of Boston on another trip. So excited about our trip to Boston - 18 days and counting! Now I can stop researching, relax and start packing!!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
6. Re: Torn between Harbor/North End or Back Bay Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2009, 00:46