We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on an itinerary?

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on an itinerary?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on my plans for an upcoming family trip to Boston -- 2 siblings and their families (kids are teens who like history), along with the grandparents. We vacation together for two reasons -- to visit, and to see the sights -- so we really like a leisurely sightseeing pace.

This year we've decided on Boston, and we're very excited. We'll be there in late July, staying in Brookline, and planning to take the T almost everywhere. Here are my thoughts for our week there (We're arriving Saturday afternoon and will probably sleep in on Sunday). I'm hoping that we'll have some "open" time to do some walking around downtown Boston.

Day 1 -- Sunday afternoon -- Constitution, Bunker Hill, surrounding area.

Day 2 -- Monday -- Freedom Walk (except for what we've seen on Sunday), lunch, North End and Downtown. Monday night -- Red Sox game.

Day 3 -- Tuesday -- Day Trip to Lexington/Concord (we're considering using a small private tour group for this, since we won't have a car). Perhaps a tour with a stop at Harvard Yard on the way back?

Day 4 -- Wednesday -- JFK library; afternoon visit to MIT? (nephew wants to see it).

Day 5 -- Thursday -- Salem

Day 5 -- Friday -- Museum of Science; Gardner.

Day 6 -- Saturday -- we'll decide on that once we get there! We'll kind of go our separate ways that day.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Brookline
Brookline
Massachusetts
Bunker Hill
Bunker Hill
150 Reviews
Boston, MA
North End
North End
6,323 Reviews
Boston, MA
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Museum of Science
Museum of Science
2,897 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on an itinerary?

The JFK birth place is not too far outside Coolidge Corner in the Allston Direct.

Brookline to Harvard Square is a fast inexpensive way by cab.

Doing a tour bus to Lex/Concord is a good way to see the area.

Mentioned in this post
Brookline
Brookline
Massachusetts
Harvard Square
Harvard Square
1,184 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on an itinerary?

Day 1: Why not head over to Long Wharf where you can catch a inner harbor ferry to The Constitution. Bunker Hill and The Constitution are over in Charlestown and there's really not much else around that area for a tourist to explore. On the ferry back, you can walk over to Faneuil Hall Marketplace and check out the hustle and bustle there. The kids will enjoy the street performers there.

Day 2: Looks good. Consider stopping for pizza at Pizzeria Regina in the North End. Very good pizza!

Day 3: You could take this tour for Cambridge, Concord and Lexington, but to truly enjoy all there is to see, a rental car or private tour is your best bet.

www.bostontours.us/tours/tourDetail.cfm…

Day:4 I see no reason why you couldn't swing over to MIT after the JFK. You will already be on the Red Line of the subway, so just take it to Kendall/MIT stop on your way back from JFK.

Day 5: Salem

Day 6: The kids will really enjoy the MOS. While I love the Gardner, the teens might find the mummies and other artifacts of the Museum of Fine Arts more to their liking. Whatever you decide, since both are fantastic Art Museums, with the MoFA much larger.

Day 7: Maybe explore the Back Bay? The Public Garden is worth a visit and maybe a trip up to the Prudential Skywalk to get a aerial view of the city and beyond.

Mentioned in this post
Long Wharf, Boston
Long Wharf, Boston
69 Reviews
Boston, MA
Bunker Hill
Bunker Hill
150 Reviews
Boston, MA
Faneuil Hall Marketplace
Faneuil Hall Marketplace
6,668 Reviews
Boston, MA
Regina Pizzeria
Regina Pizzeria
2,344 Reviews
Boston, MA
North End
North End
6,323 Reviews
Boston, MA
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Kendall Hotel
Kendall Hotel
1,065 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Museum of Fine Arts
Museum of Fine Arts
7,223 Reviews
Boston, MA
Back Bay
Back Bay
452 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston Public Garden
Boston Public Garden
8,341 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,404 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on an itinerary?

Looks very doable and not frenetically paced. On Sunday, while you are in Charlestown you may consider a meal at the Historic Warren Tavern. It's right off of Main Street between the Navy Yard (where the USS Constitution is) and the Bunker Hill monument.

http://www.warrentavern.com/index.htm

Mentioned in this post
The Warren Tavern
The Warren Tavern
542 Reviews
Boston, MA
USS Constitution
USS Constitution
1,392 Reviews
Boston, MA
Bunker Hill Monument
Bunker Hill Monument
1,331 Reviews
Boston, MA
New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on an itinerary?

Thanks for the comments. I'll take the pizza and Warren Tavern suggestions -- I had looked into Warren Tavern as a possiblity on that first day. It's also good to know that MIT would work pretty easily after the JFK museum.

I think a private tour might be our best bet for Lexington/Concord, and I'll take a look at that.

Mentioned in this post
The Warren Tavern
The Warren Tavern
542 Reviews
Boston, MA
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,273 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on an itinerary?

If you are going to Salem, include Rockport on that day. If is a wonderful little town with shops,arts/crafts food, ocean, history, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Somerville
Level Contributor
305 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts on an itinerary?

If you can get to MIT by 3:00 pm, you can take a student-lead tour of the campus. They also have tours at 11:00 am but that's probably when you'll be at the JFK Library.

MIT Tours information:

http://web.mit.edu/visit/info.html

You can also pick up a map with a self-guided tour on it at the Information Office.

7. Re: Thoughts on an itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2009, 00:44
;