We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way around Boston.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
333 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Best way around Boston.

As part of a 2 week road trip through New England in Sept/Oct. this year, we will be driving from Chatham on the Cape to Portland, ME. While we would really love to visit Boston (maybe next time), we need to divert around Boston. Any suggestions on a route which will help us avoid heavy traffic on a Thursday morning would be much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,687 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way around Boston.

You can go around the city, but there's no way to avoid Rte 3 which can get very congested and Rte 95/128 around the city is often worse than 93 straight thru the city. Contrary to what horror stories you may have heard about Boston traffic, it HAS improved over where it was 5 years ago.

My suggestion to you would be to leave Chatham between 8:30am and 11:30am. That way, you won't be getting to rte 3 until after 9am and you'll be driving in the areas most prone to traffic after the morning rush ends and before the evening rush starts.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way around Boston.

128 really can be just as bad as driving through the city traffic-wise. I'd try to go through the city either before 7 or after 10... there's way more driving on 128 and rush hour happens there too...

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,493 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way around Boston.

Agree with previous posters. Any diversionary route you'd choose will be as long as if not longer than going through the city. Time it right and you'll be fine.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way around Boston.

If you are heading from the Cape to Maine, and you really, really want to avoid going through Boston, you COULD take Route 495 the entire way, from the Bourne Bridge, until it hooks up with I-95 just before the NH border.

However, as others have said, that's a LONG way around.

You'd be much better off timing your trip so that you were heading into Boston between 10:00am and 2:00pm at the latest.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way around Boston.

Rtb 495 may be a longer way around, but I find it an easier drive and if you want to avoid traffic, I would go this way. It's a trade off between driving in really fast moving heavy traffic and taking a little longer with less congestion.

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way around Boston.

Out of curiousity, I checked the difference on Google maps.

It's 3 hrs 37 minutes from Chatham to Portland through Boston, 197 miles.

The 128 route is 216 miles, 3 hrs 54 minutes

Going the 495 route is 240 miles, 4 hrs 15 minutes.

Going through the city is most direct. If you get up and out early, you can beat the rush hour That's how I'd do it.

If you're going at rish hour, 128 will be heavy. If you're curious about traffic patterns, visit Smartraveler.com:

www.smartraveler.com/scripts/bosmap.asp…

Check it out some morning just for an idea. You never really can tell in Boston, though. We hit horrible traffic heading south from the city just now, mid-afternoon on a Sunday. Bumper to bumper crawl. It's so unpredictable.

Mentioned in this post
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
333 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way around Boston.

Once again TA posters come to the rescue! Many thanks to all of the above for much appreciated 'local knowledge'. Seems that our original plan of leaving Chatham around 8:30am may be the best option. We plan to check out a couple of towns along the coast with a luch stop at Portsmouth before a 2 day stopover in Portland ME. Great work all!!

Mentioned in this post
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
8. Re: Best way around Boston.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2009, 01:17