We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Residence Inn Central, Homewood Liberty, Homewood Suites Del

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Residence Inn Central, Homewood Liberty, Homewood Suites Del

Hi.

After some review and discussion we are getting close to nailing down some accommodation options for our trip to San Diego and leaning towards a 2 bedroom suite so have narrowed it down to three options: Residence Inn Central, Homewood Liberty/ Airport or the Homewood Suites Del Mar. This is a first time to San Diego for all concerned so flying a little blind. But we will have a car and coming down from Anaheim to do the usual touristy things. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks heaps

cheers

California
Level Contributor
463 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Residence Inn Central, Homewood Liberty, Homewood Suites Del

Kearny Mesa and Del Mar will involve a bit of driving if you want to get to traditional tourist spots like the Zoo, Sea World, Old Town, Gas Lamp, the Star of India, etc. The Airport location is central, but you can expect some airport noise. I tend to stereotype that as an area of stripper bars (old naval training base), but others could probably give you a fairer assessment of what that area would be like to walk around at night. So that's my only hesitation there. On the other hand, if you're young, I think this will put you close to some better nightlife (no, not the stipper bars).

Del Mar is nice, but you'll be looking at a drive to the attractions I mentioned. Yet, in Del Mar you're close to La Jolla, Solana Beach, Carlsbad...

Kearney Mesa (Residence) would probably be my last choice.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,676 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Residence Inn Central, Homewood Liberty, Homewood Suites Del

comedor, I have no idea when you were in San Diego last but Liberty Station is NOT anything as you have described!!!!!!

Liberty Station is a newly planned community with greenspace,golfcourse,restaurants ,stores, single family homes, condos, schools etc. It is not AT the airport but near it. It is also near San Diego Bay.

It is the most popular location for families lately because it is newest and central to many activities and walkable to restaurants/grocery etc. It is farther from the freeways than the other choices so the only traffic would be stop lights along the main street leading to the freeway.

The Del Mar Homewood Suites may be less money. It is not actually in the heart of the city of Del Mar(suburb of San Diego) but is off the main freeway(I-5)south of that city. IF you were planning to go to Legoland as part of your trip then it might make sense to stay there but if not then it would be less convenient and you'd deal with more highway traffic from there. I think there are some restaurants nearby.

The Residence Inn Central is in a non touristy middle class San Diego neighborhood and is right at a freeway entrance to convenient if not the typical place most folks stay. I imagine it will be the least expensive. There are also some restaurants nearby.

You can see all these choices on a map if you put them into Google.

Click on the map and then you can use the SEARCH NEARBY function to see restaurants stores etc.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,473 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Residence Inn Central, Homewood Liberty, Homewood Suites Del

Stripper bars in Point Loma??? Have I been missing something???

Liberty Station is far and away the best location. Zero airport noise, the hotels are well insulated and the planes are turning away at that point.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Residence Inn Central, Homewood Liberty, Homewood Suites Del

The best of the ones you mentioned is Homewood Suites Liberty Station. It is NOT seedy and there are NO stripper bars. This hotel is very popular with families. There's a park next door that my toddler nieces went to almost daily in their 2 1/2 mo visit. So, please disregard what comedor has said. They are about 20 yrs behind the time :) I also don't think you'll have airport noise.

There is a Residence Inn downtown SD that has 2 bdrm suites, not sure about your budget. It's on Harbor Drive.

Edited: 28 April 2012, 17:26
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Residence Inn Central, Homewood Liberty, Homewood Suites Del

Really appreciate the feedback-thanks heaps!! It has helped no end. Cheers

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Residence Inn Central, Homewood Liberty, Homewood Suites Del

Correction - the Residence Inn is on Pacific Highway (not Harbor). Sorry.

marriott.com/hotels/…

7. Re: Residence Inn Central, Homewood Liberty, Homewood Suites Del

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 23:18